Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

BYB - Backyard Breeders

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear about all the woes you have had with Buziba. He is one lucky kitty to have such a wonderful, loving, and caring human. It sounds like this has been very stressful to you... we can't help 'fix' Buziba but we are here for you when you need support, or a cyber shoulder to cry on...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
He has swollen lymph nodes on neck, chest and groin area - that is why I took him in. His red blood cells were clumping. They did full blood work up, FIV/ feline leukemia test and gave him a shot of Convenia and have him on Doxycycline for 30 days. It is so hard to have such a sick cat. It's been one thing after another since I got him.

It's very very hard to deal with a cat being ill so often, I'm really so sorry.

So the FeLV test was positive, that is an ELISA test and although super-sensitive (making it great for screening) it is also prone to false-positives, which is why generally FeLV will be confirmed by asking them to run an IFA test (less sensitive but more specific) or now also a PCR test on the blood is possible. With the immune reaction going on in his blood (the clumping of the red blood cells) a false positive on that test is not out of consideration...and I sincerely hope that it is a false result.

I wonder if the swollen lymph nodes might also have to do with his illness...and so once the infection is treated then maybe that will dissipate too?I'm sure it is hard to imagine that it is all resolvable... but we will all hope and pray it can be!

qcamrse

Savannah Adult
I am seeking some basic knowledge please. My beloved Buziba has tested positive for FELV and recently had his lymph nodes biopsied and has Lymphoma. Again - I am very sick over this whole ordeal since he is only 2 years old. My heart is already broken and I am in a lot of pain. My vet asked me if I contacted the breeder and I did so today and he was horrible and threatening me with false accusations against him.

I have no other cats, he never goes outside except maybe a handful of times with me on a leash in the yard, and has not been around any other cats. My vet suspects he has had FELV since birth. My question is - is there any other way he could have got this virus in the last two years?? Doesn't it point to the birth mom? Please let me any thoughts on this please. My breeder said he gave me a sound cat and my contract for any issues expired a year after purchase. This all makes me so sick since I feel this all coud have been prevented and. Buziba and I both are victims. Now, I love him so much and look to have but a short time with him. Any and all feedback is appreciated. :(:(:(:(:(

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I am not a knowledgeable guy on cat diseases. There ARE many here who are though.
WHat I am is someone who can feel your pain. Let me just say I am sending you and Buziba Love, healing and prayers. I have heard stories such as this before. It sickens me. Little loves who come and go too soon. ANd some people who just are in it for the $$. So sorry for your sadness.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with WitchyWoman... from what you describe the FeLV came with him. Did you have the FeLV confirmed by IFA testing past the initial ELISA or SNAP test? I ask because the initial testing is prone to false positives. Given the lymphoma though, it seems likely to be true as FeLV predisposes to this :-(
I know that I asked that previously, but I don't see a reply to that.

If you have no other pets, the cat only goes outside on a leash...it's hard to see that he contracted it other than from mama. Granted though, that is very very rare. I had to do a lot of research on this because my Zari had a false positive FeLV test when deathly ill and while we were investigating this I had to freak out because I am a breeder and have her mother and father and had a repeat litter due any day. You can imagine how freaked out I was. FeLV generally causes a queen to miscarry or have stillborn kittens. Or kittens that die soon after. It is very unusual for an infected queen to have a large healthy litter that thrives. Do you know how many kittens were in Buziba's litter?

I'm so sorry, this is heartbreaking. I hope you can treasure what time you have with Buziba :-(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I am very sorry you are going through this with Buziba. As Brigitte has said, it is unusual for a kitten to be infected from birth and survive for two years, but apparently not impossible since there seems to be no other source for him to have contracted it (catching it from a vet visit is probably even more unlikely and the only other remote possibility that I can think of). I heart goes out to you, I know you will cherish every moment you have with him.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear about this...sounds like your baby was sick from the beginning and your breeder lacks compassion, amongst other things...when you get a chance, can you please email me? admin@savannahcatchat.com

Our hearts and prayers are with you!

qcamrse

Savannah Adult
I have not been on here for a couple of years. I lost my beloved Buziba today - he was the most amazing warrior kitty through it all and I am proud I had the privilege to have him in my life. It has been a very hard road and $10k in medical expenses along the way. But the day I got this very sick kitten I was in love with this boy and his Savanah cat charm and friendship. He had FeLV and developed Lymphona at one year old. He had chronic anemia and many hospitalizatis, plus chemo treatment along the way. I loved my cat and did everything I could to somehow make this horrible unfair fate he was dealt early on to have the best life that was possible for him.

My point today is If I can save even one person who reads this post the 4 years of stress and heartache I just went through it will be worth it. Please please please do your research and buy from a reputable dealer. Where there's smoke there is fire so if you read any inkling of questionable dealer reviews - run away!! Savannah cats are true treasures to have and love and no one should get a very sick cat from the start. Buy from reputable dealers with a health guarantee and good reviews. While I believe fate brought me together with my beloved Buziba - it has been a journey filled with love and much pain. My Love for him had me committed to see it all through but it has left me in a financial hole as well. Buziba was even documented by my own personal vet and Iowa State University as a cat who was around for much longer than most cats With his circumstances. He was fighting since the day I got him but he should have never had to. Savannah cats are amazing - they will change your life as Buziba changed mine. I will miss him forever as I write through this very deep pain and many tears today. Again - buy from a reputable dealer. Do your research so what happened to me will not happen to you.