Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chewing cords

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347524218.409303.jpg

My little guy did this! Not good... How can I prevent this? I could care less about cords because I can always buy new ones, but I am afraid for his safety. I have misted all the cords with the bitter apple spray. Maybe I need to spray more? Any suggestions?

Appreciate any and all advice!

I've never been fond of using the bitter sprays on cords. Yes, they might get a nasty taste, but it might also be too late if they have already sunk their teeth into the cord!

Every cord in my house is protected using one of two methods. One is a raceway system, it can be a little more expensive, but it's worth it when you want the result to look good, it allows you to run cords along baseboards and around corners, etc.

wiremold.jpg

The other stuff I use is called "split loom" tubing, it's a hard plastic shell that covers the cord completely:
splitloom.jpg

Don't get the kind that looks like this:

cablezip.jpg

It's more of a helical design, and kitty teeth can still get between the gaps.

You should be able to get any of this at a local hardware or home improvement store. Or search Amazon.

waitingforgeorge

George's brother
I use the split loom too, in areas where I cant't get it good/safely I have resorted to my mothers cure for potty mouth. A used mostly dry bar of good old soap, rubbed on areas or corners of places. It may seem mean, but it worked for me, and fortunatly it seems a great deterant for George after the first try. Unfortunate side effect is he steers clear of me for an hour or so after I shower, not a fan of that fresh soap smell :roflmao:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have a number of cords covered like suggested like Susan...but for cords not protected that way I have used bitter spray. There are a range of them,not just bitter apple, and have slightly different bitter compounds... for example one here has rosemary. Different ones seem to work for different kittens/cats. I had one cat that would lick any of those but Tabasco worked for her... sometimes you just have to keep trying.

The soap idea is a good one! Maybe use a different soap than the one you use in the shower though to prevent that avoidance of your freshly-showered self!

casper75

Savannah Super Cat
Get some PVC pipes & feed the cords through those so the only thing that are showing is the plugs, I'm fairly sure that a Savannah couldn't chew though a actual plug which goes into a power point.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Mine ingested part of my Bose head phones when we first got him.. yeah, that was NOT a fun vet visit. Luckily all was okay. Most of our wires are kept in my office. So it was just making sure he couldn't get my office door open. :/

Samber

Savannah Super Cat
im lucky my kitties dont chew on cords. when i was a teen i was sleeping over a friends house and his cat was chewing on a power cord in the middle of the night and got electrocuted. it was insane. she made the loudest noise and woke everyone up and peed and pooped everywhere. luckily she survived but man that was crazy.

A

americansafaricattery

I've never been fond of using the bitter sprays on cords. Yes, they might get a nasty taste, but it might also be too late if they have already sunk their teeth into the cord!

Every cord in my house is protected using one of two methods. One is a raceway system, it can be a little more expensive, but it's worth it when you want the result to look good, it allows you to run cords along baseboards and around corners, etc.

View attachment 4648

The other stuff I use is called "split loom" tubing, it's a hard plastic shell that covers the cord completely:
View attachment 4650

Don't get the kind that looks like this:

View attachment 4651

It's more of a helical design, and kitty teeth can still get between the gaps.

You should be able to get any of this at a local hardware or home improvement store. Or search Amazon.
My husband has placed the split loom around the wires in our house. It is great and can be cut to size. :up: