Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

De-wormer of choice

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
I am still trying to understand what various de-worming treatments can be relied on to do and what they can't.

I am not sure I understand what the testing results mean.

According to the FDA links below Revolution has or had 100 percent effectiveness in killing adult roundworms, but if I am understanding what I am reading, the cats were only examined 14 days after treatment. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see where it is explained what happens during the next 14 days, when larvae in the cats body return to the intestines to mature, which seems like it may occur up until the next recommended once a month treatment.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalV.../ucm117201

The Profender studies go into more detail about what happens to nearly mature or adult worms and 4th stage larvae, but again if I am understanding what I am reading, these studies mostly look at the adult or 4th stage larval worm load over a 10 day to 15 day period, when the recommended treatment is at most monthly and usually every 3 or 4 months. I am not clear what the one study that ran 33 days showed because it says the cats were "treated" on the 5th day and the 28th day, and in another 15 day trial some of the cats were "treated" on the 24th day. I don't even see how treatment on the 24th day is possible in a 15 day trial so I must be misunderstanding what is meant by "treated" as I can't figure out what this means?

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/anima...ldrugproducts/foiadrugsummaries/ucm062332.pdf

And it sounds like most or all of these studies were done on cats that were worm free until they were intentionally infected on a specific date, so the results seem like they might be different than if these products are used to treat a real life infection in various stages of maturity that was transmitted as larvae over 8 to 12 weeks while a kitten was nursing from an infected Mom?

Are these monthly / every 3 month spot on treatments only recommended to keep parasites in check after a kitten has has a series of de-wormings with other products that can be used every 7 days to 14 days which may be needed to get rid of both the adult worms and larvae as they return to the intestines to mature? Or are they usually effective just in themselves?