Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Declawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Also, with every command, do not yell! Be stern, but don't yell. If need be just get up and move them away from whatever they are doing, point and say sssssstttttt! They will learn. Persistence will win eventually.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Also, you could try a clawing post or pad that actually has sand paper, a real corse sand paper. They will get their claw on, and still file them down at the same time.

Trish Allearz

Also, you could try a clawing post or pad that actually has sand paper, a real corse sand paper. They will get their claw on, and still file them down at the same time.
You'd have to be real careful with something like that, Kim- they could file down into their quick and hurt themselves. This is why cat toys/trees don't have sand paper on them.

D

Dantes

Personally, for me- I'd rather a home contact me and discuss the issues with me as the breeder and we work on fixing the problem then the cat be rehomed. This is the one reason why I did not have an anti-declaw clause in my contract for a long time- I'd prefer a GREAT, WONDERFUL home who runs into problems to keep their cat versus abandoning them. Of course, then I took in two declawed Sphynxes as rescues and I felt miserable for them- you could see how deformed their paws are. So I added my anti-declaw clause to my contract.

It's not an easy choice, but declaw should always be a LAST RESORT type of choice. I wish more vets would work with owners on behavioral issues as well as breeders.
I think in my effort to keep the message short, I lost some intention lol

I didn't mean anyone should abandon their cat. But if the family structure has changed and she is unable to change with it, then contacting the breeder is probably the next step. But suggesting that declawing is the next step?...IMO, I would never declaw (obviously). If the family changes, then the family needs to adapt to existing members, not the other way...the cat can't be cut like putting a new window in a house lol ick, IMO my cats are part of my family, the family needs to be trained to deal with the cat.

Kinda like the Dog Whisperer always says, you need to train your people.

Trish Allearz

I think in my effort to keep the message short, I lost some intention lol

I didn't mean anyone should abandon their cat. But if the family structure has changed and she is unable to change with it, then contacting the breeder is probably the next step. But suggesting that declawing is the next step?...IMO, I would never declaw (obviously). If the family changes, then the family needs to adapt to existing members, not the other way...the cat can't be cut like putting a new window in a house lol ick, IMO my cats are part of my family, the family needs to be trained to deal with the cat. Or maybe farm the children out to relatives to rehome them lolol j/k You wouldn't cut off your child's hand because the child keeps pulling the cat's tail? (although I might be tempted j/k)
No, but if I had my elderly Grandma move in and she was constantly bleeding from the cat racing over her- I'd have to rethink my options and I don't think rehoming the cat is the right answer either.

(My Grams did move out here to be with my Mom- and every time the dogs jumped on her, she'd bleed, bleed, bleed- because she was on meds that thinned her blood. It was HORRIBLE. Personally, I'd have taught the dogs to stay down, but it wasn't MY household....)

NikkiA

Site Supporter
When Jarvis arrived, he was a scratcher. He used his claws aggressively on us. Turned out he was doing it because he was scared. We removed the fear inducing elements, and he stopped scratching.
Does he occasionally nick one of us when he is playing? Yes, I have a couple of scars. Did he mean to? No.
When he does nick us, we say "ouch" loudly, the toy gets put down, and we walk away. These days, it is always an accident when he scratches us.
When Jarvis claws from under the bed, he is usually going for clothing (the lace cuffs of my favorite PJ Pants are his favorite too)- have you noticed that your kitty is attracted to a particular fabric? My guy also loves to play with shoe laces and socks, but hates feet- we stepped on his paw once when he was a kitten.

Trish Allearz

Ok. Your right, didn't think about that.
I ONLY know this because we used to have Sugar Gliders and their little teeny claws are wicked sharp. So there are cool wheels with the sand paper in it and you are supposed to remove it every so often so they don't hurt themselves :)

Well- actually- and cats don't run with their claws out- so I'm not sure how you could get a cat to use sand paper without harming their paw pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.