Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Declawing

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
I saw someone post a pic of their furr baby wearing nail clips. They were really colorful and they claim it's a great alternative. Know anything about those?
You still have to trim the nail before applying the soft paws, so I don't really think they're a good option for cats that don't tolerate trimmings very well. I know better than to even attempt to put them on Shango. It takes 2, sometimes 3 people to trim his nails. He's only gotten worse as he's gotten older & bigger.

cbain

Site Supporter
This picture is on my Vets Facebook page, left x ray pic is a declaw, here a link to her clinic FB pagehttps://www.facebook.com/copleypetvet/ scroll down to the pic, very good info on d
The x-ray on the left is of a declawed cat's paw. The one on the right is a of a cat with intact claws.

A declaw is an amputation, and not always a complete one. Bones grow back. It's like walking with pebbles in your shoe - for life.

Please don't think declawing fixes behavioral issues; it creates them. A lot of declawed cats are surrendered at pounds and shelters due to litter box problems (the cat is upset, in pain, or can't stand the feel of litter on its paws) or biting. A cat without claws has only one way to protect itself.

Please consider this information BEFORE making the decision to declaw your cats
from my Vets page

eclawing 13230103_1130587977001355_592993699846793370_n (1).jpg

Last edited:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
There is a breeder who stated some lame reasons why she supports declawing: she'd rather see one of her cats declawed and in a loving home than not in a home at all; there are people with illnesses whose life could be compromised by a cat scratch, yadda yadda. IMO, those humans are too selfish to own any animal. If someone declaws a cat because they're afraid of the cat scratching furniture or a family member, they should not own a cat. If a person is ill and selfishly decides to acquire an animal that could comprise their health and then mutilates the animal in order to "have" it, that person is inhumane. There is not one single instance where I think it acceptable to harm an animal in such a way. I do not respect any breeder who would allow such a thing to do be done to their cats.

Zroche

Savannah Kitten
Being from the UK I didn't even know declawing was a thing until I saw it on my cat from hell.
It's illegal in most of Europe under the convention for the protection of pet animals.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Eugena

Savannah Super Cat
I agree completely. I don't allow any of my furr babies to get declawed. If a person is wanting an exotic looking cat but, doesn't want the damage it comes with then they have no business having the cat. All of my cats love to mark the siding on my door frames with their claws, especially every time I walk through. I don't mind it one bit. I have scratch marks all over my arms and legs from the kittens playing with me, doesn't bother me a bit. Just infuriates me when a breeder claims to be ethical and then I go and look on her website and see that she allows her buyers to declaw the furr babies. Ethical my butt.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Often, if you have enough scratching posts, both horizontal and vertical, cat trees,. etc., there would be no need to declaw. I do not allow it and it is written into my contracts.

cbain

Site Supporter
Cbain may I have your permission to use your xray pic too?
I will send you the x ray and please show it off and if anyone else wants it take it, before I retired a woman at work told me her kitten was scratching her wood furniture and she was thinking of declawing the kitten and I asked, does the cat have a scratching post ??? so I gave her one I made and the kitten dug right into it and continued to use it did not get declawed, the post is a log from the woods that I cut and a scrap piece of plywood I sanded and linseed oil and 3 long screws, costs about 50 cents and 30 minutes to make, rub catnip in the cracks in the log and wood will fly.
DSCN0607.JPG

I'm massively against declawing, it's just cruel, just make sure you have plenty of appropriate things to scratch littered about your house instead!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I will send you the x ray and please show it off and if anyone else wants it take it, before I retired a woman at work told me her kitten was scratching her wood furniture and she was thinking of declawing the kitten and I asked, does the cat have a scratching post ??? so I gave her one I made and the kitten dug right into it and continued to use it did not get declawed, the post is a log from the woods that I cut and a scrap piece of plywood I sanded and linseed oil and 3 long screws, costs about 50 cents and 30 minutes to make, rub catnip in the cracks in the log and wood will fly.
View attachment 21433
I love that... Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk