Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Deterant smells for kitties

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Does anyone know of an effective or at the very least semi-effective scent that could be spayed onto an object in the home that would deter a cat from getting any where near? Of course, short of a somewhat lengthy training process, a scent like say, cinnamon, that could maybe help keep them from messing with.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
Here in the pet store they sell "Keep off spray".

Dunno of it works good, i planned to spray it on all my computer cables.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Ok. I'll look into that. I have some nice silk floral arrangements in my home, was able to train my other kitties, eventually, that they were off limits as with the counter tops and tables. But was thinking I was gonna have to go a little further for when we're not home to keep them away from the arrangements.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
I will most likely keep them in one big room of the house while at work, Savannah proof of course, until we get home and are able to supervise their activity and train them to know what is ok and what is not. It does take time, but eventually they learn. Also make sure they have plenty of other things to occupy them. Buuuuuut, just wanted an extra advantage of like a smell, that helps them learn they don't wanna go there.

DChap

Site Supporter
I use a pine scented oil that works well to keep Tojo away from things. I have also used various essential oils. Some work better than others.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Ok. Maybe the smell thing can't be a tool. We'll just have to stick to our tried and true methods of training. Not saying we never had and broken glass, but, we have always been successful with our training methods with all our animals. Happy, loving,playful well adjusted
pets. My guy is like Ceasar Chavez with his past dogs and I have come a long way in the learning of how to train my cats. When we first got together he was not a cat guy until he saw how smart, loving and well behaved my cats were. Needless to say, he is a total cat lover now. Now with the Savannah's being as smart as they are, rambungshis as they may be, I'm most confident that we have chosen the perfect breed to join our little family.