Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Diarrhea, losing weight, lack of energy, wobbly on feet

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like a great plan and I am glad they are keeping her...IBD is always a possibility and my vet found Taj's results on Ultrasound for IBD - and then he got so sick he needed surgery...he was on prednisolone for almost two years and is now medication free...

as for corona virus...all cats have it to a certain degree - it is only when it mutates that FIP becomes the diagnosis...It doesn't sound like FIP to me...

S

shelby

Prayers going out for your baby girl. Keep us posted on the results of the tests.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
She is staying at the vet, most likely overnight. They are hooking up IV catheter to rehydrate, I'll check in with them later tonight before they close. Hoping she doesn't get her energy back and freak out before she's had enough fluid! Will take blood in AM, do full panel including GI panel and urinalysis. They've recommended I wait for blood test results and will then refer me to an internist for the ultrasound.

Hopefully this sounds like a fair plan to the group here.

I think that is good advice. Rule out what is most obvious before the ultrasound. I may have missed it but did you say how old your girl is?

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, it sounds like a great plan and I am glad they are keeping her...IBD is always a possibility and my vet found Taj's results on Ultrasound for IBD - and then he got so sick he needed surgery...he was on prednisolone for almost two years and is now medication free...

as for corona virus...all cats have it to a certain degree - it is only when it mutates that FIP becomes the diagnosis...It doesn't sound like FIP to me...

There are corona viruses that do cause sever diarrhea. It doesn't need to be the type that becomes FIP however. Unfortunately, anything viral is always hard to treat and any drugs will just treat the symptoms until their own immune system can knock the virus. There are anti-viral meds which could help her so it is nice to know what sort of thing you are dealing with to be able to pursue an avenue of treatment.

Keep us updated.

P.S.
My first SV was like this. She was about 4 months old and started having diarrhea, it was so bad it would just run out uncontrolled. She lost a lot of weight. We didn't have all the PCR tests then so she got treated with everything under the sun for about a month and I put her on a special canned rabbit diet that finally turned her around. I wanted to cry when I saw her first normal poop! She was always prone to diarrhea but nothing like that. It didn't help that she was terrible foody and would steal anything constantly. I really feel for you because I know how difficult it was dealing with it.

Stretchy

Site Supporter
She's a little past 2.5 yrs, will be 3 in October. She too is a food thief - food cannot be left unattended, pantry door must be kept closed - bread, tortillas, cheese. She can sniff out raw meat like crazy and screams for it, at times I have to put her in another room to prepare dinner. Because she had tummy issues as a kitten we are very careful not to let her get to anything, although sometimes we are briefly absentminded and have to fight to get it back from her.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
And from the peanut gallery, I'd say it's a good thing she likes raw meat. After tests are done and she has regained some strength, maybe think about starting her on a raw diet -- Rad Cat, Feline's Pride. It's finely ground so no bones, feathers, or fur to compromise a tender tummy. Switching to a raw diet saved the life of my 14yr old DSH when she almost died of IBD. She's now 18 and still going strong. Hare Today also has finely ground rabbit which a good novel protein to try if food allergy is suspected.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
The rapid onset of this is somewhat concerning to me... doesn't make sense unless she picked up something from the dog. Dogs are notorious for Giardia but that would show on a PCR. I sure hope you get some insight from the tests and please keep us updated.