Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Did I make a mistake?

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
I am a little confused as to if it is actually a SV you have or a cat you think is a SV. Not that it matters. Anyways a kitten no matter the breed tends to bond with its original owner most of the time and will need time to reconnect. Savannah cats are very people oriented most of the time but they are like people they can have their moments, heck they could just not care for some one but that is not the majority. Your cat is showing classic systems of being an adult feline brought into a home with another adult feline who by the sounds of it does not feel like sharing :)

If you kitten smells I would like to know if the poop smells. A kitten should not have an "odor". Is it like a sweet smell that is gross, or a smell that when it hits you immediately think that is an odd odor?

I suggest a cat tree or two ones where they have inside huts so the cats can be separate hidden if they wish but at the same time make sure they are not needing compete
My avatar is my resident cat which is the savannah. At least that's what i was told,. The woman I bought her from is well known in our community as a dog breeder and she told me she rescued a couple of Savannahs from a bad situation. I bought one of them. Unfortunately there was no paperwork to corroborate her story, I simply took her word for it. But, like you said, at this point it doesn't matter. My kitten is not a Savannah.

Lol. Excuse my ignorance but doesn't all poop smell? Her odor isn't strong, whether it be her body or her poop. It's just something that I noticed since Nikita has no odor whatsoever.

Thank you for the links on cat trees. I'm always looking for new things to either add or replace what I have for them now. At this moment I have a midsized cat tree with 4tiers, 2 cat clouds, 3 window perches, 3 clip together cat boxes and a Hexagon shaped wall structure made for cats coming any day now. Keep in mind I live in only a 2 bedroom apartment. Lol they have plenty of places to hide in. :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
My avatar is my resident cat which is the savannah. At least that's what i was told,. The woman I bought her from is well known in our community as a dog breeder and she told me she rescued a couple of Savannahs from a bad situation. I bought one of them. Unfortunately there was no paperwork to corroborate her story, I simply took her word for it. But, like you said, at this point it doesn't matter. My kitten is not a Savannah.

Lol. Excuse my ignorance but doesn't all poop smell? Her odor isn't strong, whether it be her body or her poop. It's just something that I noticed since Nikita has no odor whatsoever.

Thank you for the links on cat trees. I'm always looking for new things to either add or replace what I have for them now. At this moment I have a midsized cat tree with 4tiers, 2 cat clouds, 3 window perches, 3 clip together cat boxes and a Hexagon shaped wall structure made for cats coming any day now. Keep in mind I live in only a 2 bedroom apartment. Lol they have plenty of places to hide in. :)
Sounds like you are set i the cat tree department. And in addition to Michelle's links, we have lots of links for cat trees under Links We Like...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I thought that Savavnnahs were the type of breed that need more companionship than other breeds. At least that's the impression I got after reading lots of literature on them. Maybe I was mistaken. Nikita is 3 years old. So I felt she was young enough that it wouldn't be too overwhelming. Time will tell I suppose.
Savannahs are active cats, which means that usually they need a lot of interaction, whether it be from humans or other cats. I would not worry about having two females - in my experience at least, if they have both been spayed before reaching maturity you will not have the same issues with compatibility as whole females...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My avatar is my resident cat which is the savannah. At least that's what i was told,. The woman I bought her from is well known in our community as a dog breeder and she told me she rescued a couple of Savannahs from a bad situation. I bought one of them. Unfortunately there was no paperwork to corroborate her story, I simply took her word for it.
Melissa, I just read your profile and see that you are from Massachusetts. Do you have any idea what generation Nikita is? I ask because F1-F3 Savannahs are illegal in MA, and without papers it might be a little hard to prove generation if the issue ever arises...

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
Patti,
To be honest I don't know. If I posted a bunch of pics could you tell? Somebody once guessed that she was an F6 when I showed her more pics. I seriously don't know how she came to that conclusion but whatever. She doesn't look like she would be close to illegal status. Of course I may not know what the hell I'm talking about being a newbie to this breed. LOL

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
I would not worry about having two females - in my experience at least, if they have both been spayed before reaching maturity you will not have the same issues with compatibility as whole females...
Actually Nikita had a litter before I got her. As a matter of fact my niece has one of her sons. That's how I found her in the first place. I saw her new cat and went to get one, but the kittens were gone so I bought mom. Dad was a big boy and out of my price range. I had my niece bring Nikitas kitten over for a reunion. It didn't go very well. I think it was about 6months of separation. He wanted to play, and she was not having it. I take it they don't remember their own offspring?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I had my niece bring Nikitas kitten over for a reunion. It didn't go very well. I think it was about 6months of separation. He wanted to play, and she was not having it. I take it they don't remember their own offspring?
Some forget faster than others. I have queens that once they've weaned their kittens and been away from them for a couple weeks they won't recognize them. But I've also had a queen that after six months separation from her kitten recognized her cry in a carrier and was immediately there. When released from the crate the kitten (well she was almost adult by then) went to nurse her and momma cat was grooming her and purring and crying to her.

As to whether Nikita is Savannah or not, imho if you think she is, she most definitely can be! There's no DNA test at this time that can detect Serval heritage. Without papers it is tricky to determine and some would say Savannah and others wouldn't. We do a lot of breed ID in Rescue... but with all the "new breeds" out there and breeders that are crossing Bengals to Chausies to Savannahs to Pixiebobs etc we have ended up with a grey area where they just look somewhat "wild looking" but not fit any of the Breed Standards enough to label them with that breed. From your avatar, I wouldn't make a guess as to her breed...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Patti,
To be honest I don't know. If I posted a bunch of pics could you tell? Somebody once guessed that she was an F6 when I showed her more pics. I seriously don't know how she came to that conclusion but whatever. She doesn't look like she would be close to illegal status. Of course I may not know what the hell I'm talking about being a newbie to this breed. LOL
Well if she doesn't look to be close to illegal status then she probably isn't. And honestly, I've not heard of any problems with Savannah owners in MA, I am just always one who believes in being prepared for the worst...