Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Do Savannah Cats have as many health problems as Bengals?

admin

Paige
Staff member
The breeder where I got Loki and Simba was Spotacular Bengals. If you search Spotacular Bengals complaints, a story comes up on Badcatbreeders.com - wrote to them about her. I'm not the only one she hurt. I just wish I searched to complaints about her before I bought cats from her. But then again, then I wouldn't have met Loki. I've never had such a strong bond with any cat, like the one I have with Loki. I love him so much.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Also, is NitroKatz a good breeder?
I would not pay any attention to badcatbreeder - it is run by a bitter pixie bob breeder, who includes ethical breeders in her complaints with NO proof. As for Nitrokatz - Heather is here on the forum as @DumaLove and yes, she is a great breeder...volunteers her time to help out here as well!

Mavelle

Savannah Child
I would not pay any attention to badcatbreeder - it is run by a bitter pixie bob breeder, who includes ethical breeders in her complaints with NO proof. As for Nitrokatz - Heather is here on the forum as @DumaLove and yes, she is a great breeder...volunteers her time to help out here as well!
Okay, that's good to know. But as for Spotacular Bengals - I know that's true because I was the one who complained about her and contacted badcatbreeder. After I did that, someone reached out to me that bought a sick cat that died from her too.

I got Simba and Loki from her. When I picked up Simba there were pregnant cats and kittens running all over the house. She decided to feed them, so she brought out a big round platter dish and dumped a couple of cans of food on it and placed on the floor. All the cats and kittens ran to it and started eating. Simba didn't, instead he started crying at her. So she opened up a jar of baby food and gave him some. She said he doesn't like cat food right now. On the way home I noticed Simba was skin and bones. I took him to the vet and they told me he was underweight. They said he also had ear mites and fleas. They listened to his heart and he had a murmur. He was later diagnosed with HCM. Then he died of FIP (dry form) at the age of 4.5 years old. I emailed her after he died to let her know what happened and she never replied.
Loki was diagnosed with IBD and glaucoma 2 years ago (he's now 7.5 yrs old). Just recently like 2 weeks ago he was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and fluid in his lungs. He's on (4) different medications. He seems to be doing good right now. He's energy is pretty good - he'll run around the house and he's eating good. I asked the vet what his prognosis was because she told me his condition is severe heart disease, but she said she didn't know since all cats respond differently to medications.

Mavelle

Savannah Child
Maybe someone can help me. I'm a little confused when I read the health guarantees from breeders. I read one and it said "One year written health guarantee (5 years for HCM)". What does that mean - they guarantee the kitten will be healthy one year and won't get HCM until after 5 yrs old? What should I be looking for from a good cat breeder?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Maybe someone can help me. I'm a little confused when I read the health guarantees from breeders. I read one and it said "One year written health guarantee (5 years for HCM)". What does that mean - they guarantee the kitten will be healthy one year and won't get HCM until after 5 yrs old? What should I be looking for from a good cat breeder?
The kitten's health is guaranteed for one year and would be covered for 5 years for HCM...

http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/how-to-determine-a-good-savannah-breeder.7029/#post-124284

catsindogtown

Savannah Super Cat
I have a 9 year old bengal with IBD, but I had the most intense time with Spots of Africa giving me a cat with hereditary heart disease and Babu is a Savannah. He doesn't live with me anymore because *insert long story here* but he is with a great home and is the best cat who came from someone who wasn't ready to breed Savannahs. I'm not a breeder but that seems like the biggest variable in my whole experience, getting a good one. Kyan my bengal is from KoppieKatz and I got him so young and everything worked out really decently, so I was blindsided by the whole bad breeder thing. I learned the hard way as so many of us do, and now I truly believe that the breeder is the most critical aspect of purebred animals.

Mavelle

Savannah Child
Loki died last night around 2:00am. He couldn’t breathe, so I told my husband we have to take him to the hospital, but he didn’t make it. He died on the floor. I saw him take his last breath. At that moment a part of me died as well. I am devastated. My heart is broken. I stayed home from work today. Every time I close my eyes, I see him lying on the floor dead. I never had such a close bond with any other cat like the bond I had with Loki. He was my best friend. He was 8 years old.