Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Does Walking a Savannah Cat Lead to Escapes

admin

Paige
Staff member
I was pondering this question last night when Taj ran out my front door at night, up an embankment near traffic and scared me almost to death. it is a steep embankment with huge boulders, but he loves to climb on boulders when I am walking him, so I was not surprised.

He was found quickly because he knows where he lives and never goes far, but...he could have been hit by a car...he just wants to be outside.

I have been walking him since he was a kitten. he loves to be walked. Zuri does not really like to be walked, so she never runs out...she loves to be in her enclosure.

So I wonder if walking savannah cats outside gives them a propensity to want to run out or if some cats just run out to be out...

What do you think?

I'm very interested in the answer to this question as well. I like the idea of walking the boys. But so far, I'm too apprehensive about having issues with them becoming door dashers to even consider it at this time. Even with the idea of carrying them out in their carrier, and going out throught he garage rather than through the other doors ... I'm still too concerned, that they will come to like it outside too much and take it into their own paws as to when they go out.

That looks very interesting. I wonder how it tells the difference between human and animals. I wouldn't want it going off when I walked out the door.

I would also have to start taking my dog out through the garage door to avoid setting it off with her as well. Thank you for sharing, definately something worth looking more into

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I was pondering this question last night when Taj ran out my front door at night, up an embankment near traffic and scared me almost to death. it is a steep embankment with huge boulders, but he loves to climb on boulders when I am walking him, so I was not surprised.

He was found quickly because he knows where he lives and never goes far, but...he could have been hit by a car...he just wants to be outside.

I have been walking him since he was a kitten. he loves to be walked. Zuri does not really like to be walked, so she never runs out...she loves to be in her enclosure.

So I wonder if walking savannah cats outside gives them a propensity to want to run out or if some cats just run out to be out...

What do you think?

I think this is very true. I have had bolters and they are the ones that get to go on walks.
I always recommend to a new owner, it is good to walk them through a door 1. you never use 2. Put them in a carrier, then take them out to walk 3. use a door that has a double access.

They tend to bolt out the door that they are used to going out of. We have some that like to dart into the garage so we keep the back door closed or quickly close it. That way their darting can be controlled.

My favorite F2 Confetti was a terrible door darter. At first it was a game, then it became an obsession. She eventually got out late at night unbeknownst to us and got hit by a car.

It was a terrible experience and I wouldn't want anyone to have to go though that!

admin

Paige
Staff member
My front door has double access...I don't have any other door and Taj does not walk out the front door on his own - never has...he just wants to be outside.

He did NOT want to come in last night and gave my friends a whole story when they picked him up while I kept him busy...he was talking up a storm...yelling is more like it...:p

KMcgown

Site Supporter
I think walking them does increase the door darting. Sophie, our biggest walker, will sit by the door barking (yes, she is a cat) to go out. If you happen to come in, she will try and scoot out. Luckily, we have a double door so she can get in the hall but not the lower door. This has saved us many times! The other girls, who are not walked, could case less about the door. They don't bark :) and they don't sit there waiting either. During the winter, when its cold here in new england, she is walked much less and this does get better but its like a drug...give her one walk on a nice day and she is right back at it!

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
We've had Kovu since February. He's been walked nearly every day since we got him. He's never tried to dart out the door.. until yesterday. Scared the jeebies out of me. Luckily I was able to grab him before he made it past the porch, but now I know we have to be extra super careful. I've been super busy the last couple days & haven't been able to walk him, which is probably why he darted.

Glad Taj was okay. We live next to an interstate & a high way. I am VERY worried about him getting out & getting hit by a car.