Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

DomesticWildcat.com Lineage Help! Am I really a Savannah?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've always found it simpler to say "early" or "later" for generations than "higher" or "lower" to remove confusion. Early generation seems more obvious than "higher" which might mean a higher number or might mean higher in Serval content....

I'm sorry, I think we are saying the same thing...let me rephrase, or clarify. By higher generation I mean 10 is higher than 1, hence an F6 would be a higher generation than an F1, however if your referring to higher quality (hate to put it that way, had a better word for it, but it has escaped my mind now) than I would say F2 over F9 (in my mind anyway...but that may be just mathematical thinking?!?!) so I think we're thinking the same way, just being understood the oposite! Lol! I guess I just didn't realize that it's solely based off the parent with the lowest (or highest...in my mind) generation. Thank you for clarifying. I think what is also confusing me is reading all the posts from the "domestic wildcat sells sick kittens" thread where there have been many different insights into what generation/breed their kittens would be considered...at best. I will read back through my emails with Jimmy (so I'm correct in stating) what percentage wild blood and generation (omitting their F2.5 claim) my kitten supposedly is so maybe you can help determine if their claims are close to truthful!
This is the statement Jimmy sent me in regards to our kitten's "wild blood" percentage! I am totally at a loss as to how this is estimated!
"born from F2 Savannah Queen Bellissima, bred with F3 fertile Jungle-cat/Savannah hybrid stud Big Foot.
So your Xena has almost 22% wild blood (about 15% serval and over 6% Jungle-cat) ...much closer to a F2, as Tar refers knicknames these "F2 1/2" ;) ...it's extremely rare for a F3 stud to be fertile. We got lucky."

Patti

Admin
Staff member
y higher generation I mean 10 is higher than 1, hence an F6 would be a higher generation than an F1
'Higher' refers to the theoretical serval percentage in a Savannah so an F1 (50% serval) would be a higher generation than an F3 (theoretically 12.5% serval). I prefer to refer to early generations (closest to the serval) and later generations (further removed from the serval) than higher and lower generations.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This is the statement Jimmy sent me in regards to our kitten's "wild blood" percentage! I am totally at a loss as to how this is estimated!
"born from F2 Savannah Queen Bellissima, bred with F3 fertile Jungle-cat/Savannah hybrid stud Big Foot.
So your Xena has almost 22% wild blood (about 15% serval and over 6% Jungle-cat) ...much closer to a F2, as Tar refers knicknames these "F2 1/2" ;) ...it's extremely rare for a F3 stud to be fertile. We got lucky."
He is combining species to create an 'F' generation, but in reality the 'F' generation refers only to a single species. So your kitten is either an F3 Savannah with ~15% serval genes or an F4 Jungle Cat hybrid at ~6% Jungle Cat genes.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Jimmy likes to refer to "wild blood" to overemphasize the heritage of his cats. A completely outcrossed F3A would have an estimated (and it is only a theoretical estimate there's no way of measuring this) 12.5% Serval heritage (An F1 being 50% Serval, an F2 being 25% and hence F3 being half that again). Jimmy is liberally estimating his Jungle Cat/Savannah hybrid stud Big Foot as having 5% Serval heritage which seems highly unlikely as then one would estimate his Savannah father as having 10% Serval heritage.

You've got it backwards. The closer to the serval, the higher the generation. F1 = serval parent, F2 = serval grandparent, etc.

The generation of each Savannah kitten is determined by the highest generation of either parent; if a mother is an F1, her babies will be F2's, no matter the generation of the Savannah father. The generation goes one step below the highest generation of any parent (posted by Pam in another forum, Generation Question).

Perhaps this can also help you better understand: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/what-does-the-f-and-other-letters-mean.16/
Thank you. That was helpful! I start getting confused with other non Savannah breeds are mixed in what the generation and letter (if any) it is!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thank you. That was helpful! I start getting confused with other non Savannah breeds are mixed in what the generation and letter (if any) it is!
It IS confusing when someone starts mixing breeds and then combining the generations of each. Not to mention misleading, and relying on people being new to the breed not understanding it well enough...