Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Dreamweaver catz breeder

Chuckbob

Savannah Super Cat
I agree with the advice of the others. If you have had an Aby you are familiar with what an active breed is like. Each Savannah will be individual in personality, and as Brigitte said, it will be important for you to communicate with Shelby what you feel will best fit in your home. Unlike the others, I suspect that since your Siamese grew up around your Aby she will most likely quickly establish herself as alpha cat with any kitten that is introduced into the family (especially if it is a male kitten), although as the others have warned, it could go in exactly the opposite direction.
I've been moderately successful introducing a male savannah kitten to an 8+ year old female crabby tabby. She hated him for the first month, barely tolerated him the second and now scratches to be let out of the bedroom at night so she can go play with him even though she knows he will play far longer than she wants to.

I say moderately because I have never seen them cuddle or sleep together. They will share a sunny love seat but there is always a cats length between them. they will eat from the same bowl with occasional hissing. I think she actually missed him when he went to the vet for neutering and spent the night there. I chose a male kitten over a female as I thought Our 8 Y/O female would feel less threatened and the breeder assured us this male had the sweetest disposition of the litter. I knew they were high energy but my F6 astounded me. He wore her out and she hid a lot the first month. but now both have free run of everything and she sleeps in the middle of the floor with no fear. We quarantined him for two weeks and spent two more with very brief introductions with a lot of hissing and swatting. It was a very slow process and I thought we were never going to get where we are now with both cats on the couch at the same time. Loki is 6 months now and we can leave them alone together while we are at work and they get along great.

brominated

Savannah Kitten
Thought I'd close the loop here. Went down to visit Shelby to pick up the little boy yesterday. Kitten refused to come in the same room. His brother and mother all came in to visit at least, but even after an hour of sitting quietly, playing with her brother, bribery and momma coming in to say hi, he was not having it.

I very much believe that cats choose their owners as much as owners choose their cats. If he wasn't coming in, we weren't about to force him. That said, Shelby is a wonderful breeder, who takes great care of her cats. I'd happily buy from her again. It was just this particular kitten who wasn't having it. If I can't sit and at least play with a kitten before taking him home, he isn't right for me. Back to the drawing board.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I very much believe that cats choose their owners as much as owners choose their cats. If he wasn't coming in, we weren't about to force him.
Wise decision. If it doesn't feel right, it's best to go with your gut. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and that your search for the purrfect kitten will take a bit longer.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear the kitten was not interested in being friends, but I give you a lot of credit for making the smart decision and leaving him there.

Chuckbob

Savannah Super Cat
Thought I'd close the loop here. Went down to visit Shelby to pick up the little boy yesterday. Kitten refused to come in the same room. His brother and mother all came in to visit at least, but even after an hour of sitting quietly, playing with her brother, bribery and momma coming in to say hi, he was not having it.

I very much believe that cats choose their owners as much as owners choose their cats. If he wasn't coming in, we weren't about to force him. That said, Shelby is a wonderful breeder, who takes great care of her cats. I'd happily buy from her again. It was just this particular kitten who wasn't having it. If I can't sit and at least play with a kitten before taking him home, he isn't right for me. Back to the drawing board.

I had a choice of three when I picked Loki all were friendly and playful. Two girls and a boy. They boy was clingy and was attached to me from the moment I entered the room. Visited him again before I picked him up and it was the same. To this day he sleeps with me, follows me everywhere and is always trying to help.

I think if I had picked one of the girls they would have been more typically cat offish. I wanted a buddy who liked to be roughed up a little and sure got that. he loves being up on my shoulders like a parrot. go figure.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Every kitten is different... Some may come to you and some may not. It doesn't mean they will not make a good match for you... Most of my kittens are placed with people who have never met them... They have always done well! Your choice, but he may well have made a great buddy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk