Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Elsa's visit to the Vet... Not so good...

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I think it would be a risky venture to not vaccinate at all, even with an indoor only cat. What if your cat door darts? Or your cat does get ill and needs emergency vet care? I get the over vaccination piece and have read where titers may be done to test to see if the animal has immunity therefore doesn't need additional protection, but without knowing this I personally wouldn't be willing to risk it with my animals. Also, many localities require vaccinations so I wouldn't want to risk potential adverse actions resulting from running afoul of the requirements. As for vets looking for a revenue stream, I believe each profession has their stellar practitioners and their quacks. Luckily, the quacks tend to be in the minority, with the majority truly caring about the animals they treat. People work to earn money, me included. That doesn't mean the majority make things up to earn said paycheck. That is just like saying all lawyers are ambulance chasers, when clearly 2 or 3 aren't! :Geeky:

All that aside, I am glad baby Elsa is feeling better and coming up with creative ways to reduce your electricity bills, JC!

If you've ever seen a distemper death, you'd never think twice about kitten vaccines. John isn't over vaxing getting her basic series.He is being a smart, responsible owner.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
If you've ever seen a distemper death, you'd never think twice about kitten vaccines. John isn't over vaxing getting her basic series.He is being a smart, responsible owner.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)
Agreed! From what I have read, the immunity would be after years and years of, say, rabies vaccines. I still wouldn't risk it, though, unless a titer proved no need.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member

I know yesterday I was plenty scared... I think everyone here knows how much I care for her, and to lose her because of a bad vaccination, I am not sure if I could take it or not... I do wish the vet had told me to expect something like this may happen... But of course how many commercials have we heard about people drugs that 10,000 side effects and I think they just about listed each one of them including death... I am just glad the entire episode is over... Jake and Elsa have been playing well, and she is not spitting when I pick her up... Obviously she was feeling bad yesterday.... I still have one more set of shots to go thru.... Geez I hope they are easier on her (and me) next time... 3 weeks to wait... UGH...

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I know yesterday I was plenty scared... I think everyone here knows how much I care for her, and to lose her because of a bad vaccination, I am not sure if I could take it or not... I do wish the vet had told me to expect something like this may happen... But of course how many commercials have we heard about people drugs that 10,000 side effects and I think they just about listed each one of them including death... I am just glad the entire episode is over... Jake and Elsa have been playing well, and she is not spitting when I pick her up... Obviously she was feeling bad yesterday.... I still have one more set of shots to go thru.... Geez I hope they are easier on her (and me) next time... 3 weeks to wait... UGH...
If Elsa is having averse reactions, you could ask your vet to space out her vaccines. It would be less for her immune system to take, so her reaction to them wouldn't be so bad. My coworker had this done for her kitten. Most vets throw all vaccines into one syringe. She had him do one type, then 2 weeks later another type, and so forth. It definitely costs more though

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
If Elsa is having averse reactions, you could ask your vet to space out her vaccines. It would be less for her immune system to take, so her reaction to them wouldn't be so bad. My coworker had this done for her kitten. Most vets throw all vaccines into one syringe. She had him do one type, then 2 weeks later another type, and so forth. It definitely costs more though
Great idea... Sometimes cost is not an issue.. Especially with Elsa and Jake.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My boys go in for vaccines 3x per year, and we split up the vaccines between the visits.
I do rabies, distemper, and feline lukemia, as well as rhinotracheitis, and calicivirus.
I live in NJ. Feline lukemia is EVERYWHERE here. Rabies is present in the raccoon population. I can't speak to distemper, but many years ago I worked for a vet, and I saw unvaccinated stray kittens that had to be put down, and I choose not to take this risk. I personally have terrible lungs, hence the vaccines for them to help protect them.
We do 2 shots per visit, no more. At the visit where the cat gets one vaccine, he also gets his annual bloodwork.
It costs more.
I don't care. I don't want to lose one of them because I made a choice that put them at higher risk. I do see the point of those whose cats will not interact with any other animals, but that isn't us.
D interacts with other animals and occasionally goes to the shelter with me in connection with my volunteering. He also goes to nursing homes with me, and he is not the only animal visiting.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have got some serious bucks tied up in these furballs. I'm not taking a preventable chance. Nope.
My feelings exactly... I was tempted to say that I wish you were in my shoes yesterday with Elsa, but I would not wish that on anyone... Yesterday was major Panic and Worry... I agree, I am not going to take a chance either... I just wish the Vet had warned me, and I would not have been as worried.

kabuki

Savannah Super Cat
I think it would be a risky venture to not vaccinate at all, even with an indoor only cat. What if your cat door darts? Or your cat does get ill and needs emergency vet care? I get the over vaccination piece and have read where titers may be done to test to see if the animal has immunity therefore doesn't need additional protection, but without knowing this I personally wouldn't be willing to risk it with my animals. Also, many localities require vaccinations so I wouldn't want to risk potential adverse actions resulting from running afoul of the requirements. As for vets looking for a revenue stream, I believe each profession has their stellar practitioners and their quacks. Luckily, the quacks tend to be in the minority, with the majority truly caring about the animals they treat. People work to earn money, me included. That doesn't mean the majority make things up to earn said paycheck. That is just like saying all lawyers are ambulance chasers, when clearly 2 or 3 aren't! :Geeky:

All that aside, I am glad baby Elsa is feeling better and coming up with creative ways to reduce your electricity bills, JC!

I don't agree , but hey it's ur opinion...don't believe in vaccines, how do we know what we're putting in our cats.. In the long run it could be damaging...if mine is going to eat a squirrel then I will worry about that then. I don't plan on letting him out with out a lease. Paid to much

Ms kitty Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk