Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Escape proofing fences?

cbain

Site Supporter
How do you have your set up installed? I looked into purrfect fence with the overhang but not if he can still escape! I have 6 foot fences now. Where would I even put the electric part? Sorry I just can’t figure out how to do this
I have the electric at the top and on both sides of a 8 foot fence, I do have a lot of wildlife in this area and a pond in the enclosure with a creek just 10 feet from my enclosure and raccoons are a problem, I also looked into Purrfect fence at one time and the manufacture stated Purrfence will not stop a raccoon and some cats from coming in from the back side that does not have a overhang, the electric control and the whole setup is a lot cheaper to buy and run than Purrfect fence and more effective, think of it as a invisible in ground fence on posts 8 feet up.,,,,,https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/power-wizard-pw100-electric-fence-controller?cm_vc=-10005

Attachments

• DSCN3634.JPG
    DSCN3634.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 8

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
It seems like the first few times of seeing if a new system is really cat proof can be a bit nerve wracking... And inexperienced cats managing unintended escapes can be dangerous. The idea of adding a small animal electric fence component really seems like a good idea, and an added security feature!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes. When you construct an area for your cats, you should wander over it repeatedly, looking for gaps that a small cat head could push its way through, if their head can fit their body can follow. Get down on the ground to see it from their perspective, and what they might imagine they could use to climb around an obstacle. That's why gates and trees need special attention as they can serve as ways to get around any fencing you put up...

cbain

Site Supporter
Hello!

Henry is my F2 and is now 2 years old. He is of course an indoors cat. We have a screened in pool patio and he has a cat flap so he can go in and out between the house and patio as he pleases. We have around 1/4 acre large backyard and recently put in a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. The goal was to let him and the other kitties out a bit only under parental supervision! I told my fiancee that he has to stand next to him because I knew he could jump the fence easily. And he didn't believe me. But of course, Henry jumped right up, paws on the top and pulled himself over. Looking for a way to keep him from being able to jump over. I see cat fencing with mesh type surroundings but that is a lot to put up and a huge expense. I also saw rubbery spiky strips to put on top of the fence but those had mixed reviews. We are planting large hedges in front that are around 3 feet thick but they won't be grown up for a long time. Is there anything I can do to keep him from leaping over or at least slow him down? Again, this is only for short jaunts outside while I am with him and watching. I hate the thought of drilling holes all over a HUGE and pricey fence investment Just looking for any ideas.

Thanks!
If you don't want to drill holes in your new fence this could be siliconed to the top of your fence or laid at the bottom on the inside and I hear it is effective,,,,

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
If you don't want to drill holes in your new fence this could be siliconed to the top of your fence or laid at the bottom on the inside and I hear it is effective,,,,

I have very mature hedges with fencing behind them. My cat had no problem goin under or even into the hedges, like a bird. I don’t depend on anything nature provides as a foolproof system of keeping your cats in an enclosed space. Nature provides hiding spots and methods of escape for the smaller creatures on this land. We have to protect them with artifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moggieslegacy

Savannah Super Cat
Cbain has a fence system that works really well. I created a modified version of this, and it has been completely reliable, though I did go over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb to make sure there was no escape routes, and I continue to inspect it on a regular basis. Also both my cats wore a tracking device the first couple months they were out there, just in case they did something I didn’t imagine was possible.

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
I took my cats away for a month, over 200 miles from home. Though I was staying in my family’s home and did not let them out, having the tracking device on them gave me piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro