Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F1 vs F2?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think you are right, Trish, I've seen that successful combination a LOT over the years :)

Mike, it really does depend on the individual personality. I've had to rehome adults here that truly needed to be in an only cat household...it was horrible for me to do but seeing how happy they are in their house with their human and no competition makes it worth it. One of those cats is a "virtual F1" (she's 46% but registered as F3)...

And maybe that is the way to do it, look for a retired adult breeder that is presented as needing an only cat household or would be happy that way? I can tell you from my experience in Rescue that these adult cats do bond to you just as strongly as if you get as a kitten...just sometimes there is a little more work to be done to make that bond. It might take a month rather than a week for example.

Mike

Savannah Kitten
Thanks for all the comments. I'll have to think about it before making any decisions. Do you think having a high energy cat and a more mild cat as in a different breed would work?? I think the idea of having a cat friend might be good but having two cats that require a lot of attention would probably be too much work for me.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It can work well, I've homed Savannahs with Maine Coons for example and that seems to go well. I have a British Shorthair that melds fabulously with the Savannahs...he just isn't fussed by their antics. If he wants to play he does, if he doesn't he just ignores them :)

D

Dantes

My f3 Duma loves my Ragdoll Dante and it's mutual! He's probably be a nutcase if left to his own devices.

K

Kronos

It can work well, I've homed Savannahs with Maine Coons for example and that seems to go well. I have a British Shorthair that melds fabulously with the Savannahs...he just isn't fussed by their antics. If he wants to play he does, if he doesn't he just ignores them :)

This is exactly what it is like with my SV and Ragdoll.

Kristine

In my house, my F2's are no different than my lower generations. The F2 males are just mellow dudes. Their mother was not so mellow, she was INTENSE with an capital "I".

B

Breheart

My F8 is verrrry mellow. He has adapted to my schedule so nicely, I wanted to get him another cat playmate, but decided that it was not needed after all. Not sure if its due to his generation, or just that I got lucky with his personality :)

He is loyal like a dog, and loves greeting me at the door when I come home. He is always in the room where I am at, curious to what I am doing and vocal as well. But if I am sleeping or not playing with him, he knows when and how to be chill. He still gets crazy and active hyper I think I just manage his schedule so well that it is never an issue despite being at work 10 hours a day. I make sure to play with him and wear him out before I go to work, and when I come home and just that alone has worked wonders as far as curing his trouble making problems.

I guess my point is any generation can work, I think getting a companion for the cat is really dependent on how the cat settles in with you and your lifestyle, and whatever its personality turns out to be. It is hard to predict from kittens exactly how they will adjust as they grow up with you. I'd also recommend going with a male since females tend to have risks of turning out to be divas in the higher gens.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I can trim nails. I straddle her and she grumbles and wiggles but I get it done.
Get one of each! Solves that problem.