Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F3 Behavioral Problems

annunaki017

Savannah Teenager
My F4 male annunaki demands attention non stop all day, and I try to give him as much love as I can but he still loves to talk up a storm all day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am reading some of the problems people are having with their F3's & F4's. In all these cases, these cats are not getting enough play time. I researched Savannah's before I adopted mine. I was on a list for 3 yrs as I really wanted a male. Usually the litters are females only. I chose an F3 as I assumed they would not be as demanding as an F1 or F2. However some F3's can be as demanding as the early generations. My boy Spartacus is very demanding and requires a lot of attention. I was ready for this & devote a lot of time to him. Kind of like having a toddler. He sleeps when we do (we keep him contained in our master bedroom/bathroom at night which is not small..approx 800 sqf) He has a Cat Tower in this area by a window & two window seats...one is heated) which he has the option of sleeping in/on whenever he wants. He chooses however to sleep with us now. Then every day I put him on his harness & take him for a 2-3 hr walk. On cold or rainy days, I play fetch with him or use a toy feather wand (he must never be left alone with feather wand bc he will eat the feathers. He does have the run of the rest of the house during day time but it has to be babyproofed. My boy follows me everywhere & always wants to be included with whatever we are doing. I allow him on most counters & tables but block access to others (I don't allow him to get up on counter where my ceramic top stove is) When we leave the house without him, we leave him in the master bedroom bathroom area and have had to put elastics on the whirlpool tub taps to prevent him from turning taps on. He also has plenty of litterboxes,cat towers and scratching posts through out the house. We are building him an outdoor cat enclosure with cat runs. These cats need a lot of stimuli! Your breeder should have told you that. Also these cats are hyper allergenic so I do not believe the story of the guy developing allergies. My friends with allergies are not bothered by Spartacus. Nor am I. I had a Siamese for 24 1/2yrs and I had allergies. I would never give up my animals due to allergy...ridiculous!
When he reaches up, it is a sign he wants to be picked up...I think he thinks he is a baby. He is only 9lbs at 6 mos old and will definitely get bigger....but I will always pick him up when he wants it. At times, if you act like prey, he will treat you like prey so it is not a good idea to play hide & seek! If he gets into nibbling mode, you must pick him up by the scruff of the neck & firmly say NO. Replace your arm with a teddy bear & let them nibble on that. (Make sure it doesn't have parts that can be easily ripped off & ingested). My kitty is teething (he has double fangs right now) so I give a teether chew toy. If your kitty continues to nibble on your arm or sweater...then make sure you pick up by scruff of neck and put him in a room by himself for time out. These cats are extremely socialable so they will not like time out. He will learn that the behaviour will not be tolerated. Make sure time out doesn't last long...5 min usually good. All cats need play time but Savannah's need 3 times the play time & will give back 3 times the love. Everyone loves my boy. He is our family & we love him.
Savannahs are neither "hyper allergenic" as you say, nor are they hypoallergenic. That is a myth. It depends completely on the person AND the cat. My BF has never been allergic to any animal in his life, but he is allergic to one of my F6's.
Pardon my spelling re allergic. I have read that they are less likely to be hypoallergenic. It must be a myth if you say so, however I believed it to be true as I and others who have had terrible allergies to other cats, don't have allergies around our Savannah at all! Maybe, the later generations are more like their domestic cousins. I'm not an expert by all means...never claimed to be! I was simply reporting on what I've read and how it related to my friends & myself. I'll try to be more careful in what I post from now on.

I'm pretty darn allergic to our F4 Mickey Blue Eyes. Sneezing, red eyes, itching and all. I am less allergic to him than I am to some friend's cats, but I still react.

It depends on the individual cat and the individual human.

For what it is worth, I did not know I had cat allergies before bringing cats home, and I had worked for a vet for 4 years in high school. Luckily, my boys will tolerate bath time, which helps keep my individual allergies in check.
Maybe it has to do with the lineage...I don't know. I just know that I have no symptoms with my F3. I'd have to do a thesis on allergies to really understand them. I believe you to be honest, but have a hard time understanding how someone develops allergies years later after being around/working with a vet. Allergies are not fun. That is why after my Siamese died, I researched the best option for a pet as I love cats.

I agree that the allergens vary from cat to cat and with the environment. For instance, a cat that has fleas tends to lick itself more than one without thus creating more dander on their skin.
I didn't even know that! Thankfully we don't have a flea problem.We use Revolution & he is mostly indoor except for when We take him for walks. Deer ticks are more of a problem here. Just pulled one of my back last week. Spartacus does have ear mites...been using Kitty Earwipes & worked perfectly bc vet said he doesn't have a problem but it seems to have gotten worse...will address that when we take him in to get neutered shortly.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Maybe it has to do with the lineage...I don't know. I just know that I have no symptoms with my F3. I'd have to do a thesis on allergies to really understand them. I believe you to be honest, but have a hard time understanding how someone develops allergies years later after being around/working with a vet. Allergies are not fun. That is why after my Siamese died, I researched the best option for a pet as I love cats.

Cat allergies can increase or decrease after you bring a kitty home. Prior to living with cats, interacting with our friends cats gave me no symptoms. In high school, the cats at the animal hospital did not give me allergy symptoms. It happens sometimes that the longer you are around an allergen, the more sensitized you become. Some people are the opposite, and the longer they are around the allergen the less sensitive they are.

We run HEPA filters, and the boys get baths every other week, which helps me.

Every cat is different. Our F4, our F5, and our F3 boy all came from the same breeder, but I react differently to each of them. My husband's mother is also allergic, and she reacts far more to F4 Mickey Blue Eyes than the other two, but there is no way that I am aware of to predict if a given human will or will not be allergic to a given cat, and the only cats that are marketed as hypoallergenic turned out to be a hoax.