Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Feline Constipation

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Success!!!!! She tried 4 times today and finally manage to succeed. With the caveat that it was not in the litter box :eek:, but I am just happy she went. I think she may have been trying to go for longer than I realized and might have a little litter box poo aversion we will need to work through, but that's okay. She did try to go in the litter box 4 times so I am not going to fault her. I'm just going to keep her more regular from now on. If you think about it in the last two weeks she: Got fixed, received massive antibiotics, got her final immunizations, had her food slightly modified two times, moved from LA to Chicago, and had her dad come in and out of her life due to our long distance relationship..... I would be constipated too ;)
So glad to hear the poop has plopped!!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hello all. I thought I would introduce myself as I am the "sometimes absent boyfriend" mentioned above which is, apparently, what I am referred to by my significant other when I'm not in the room.

p.s. There is more to the pooping story than any of you EVER want to know. Suffice it to say that I am scarred. Forever.

p.p.s. I am seriously considering changing my username to "ZahrasWallet" as she is the gift that keeps on giving to everyone and everything but my bank account.
Welcome Sacred! I'm sure before the year is up you'll feel you've had enough kitty 'experiences' to write a book about! Glad to have you here!!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Thanks Brigitte!
Just to be clear are you recommending the Miralax only for when she gets constipated despite the psyllium in her food? Or are you recommending it as a daily dose? I suspect she has had some constipation issues for a while now and because this is our first experience with a raw fed cat, and because she never complained, we missed the signs. She did not have a BM until the fifth day we had her, and after that she only went about every thee to four days. I am thinking, if I understand your advice properly, that I should use 1/8 tsp of Miralax for a day or two to jump start things, and then add the psyllium to her food to prevent future issues. I don't know how much I can trust the advice of the "feline nutritionist" at petco, but she did suggest I up the water intake in Zahra's food until she is an adult at least. Are you still giving this kitten psyllium as an adult? Thanks for your advice again :)
You definitely don't want to give Miralax on a daily basis - give as needed only. Psyllium you can give daily with food. And BTW, it still wouldn't hurt to take her in to see the vet and let him know what has transpired and let him/her know that you are considering adding psyllium to her diet just to keep a record of her issues and get his/her feedback. I'm sure ZaharasWallet won't mind... ;)

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
I'm sure ZaharasWallet won't mind... ;)

funny-expensive-stuff-high-prices-poor.jpg

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
You definitely don't want to give Miralax on a daily basis - give as needed only. Psyllium you can give daily with food. And BTW, it still wouldn't hurt to take her in to see the vet and let him know what has transpired and let him/her know that you are considering adding psyllium to her diet just to keep a record of her issues and get his/her feedback. I'm sure ZaharasWallet won't mind... ;)

:) Yep we will be making a vet visit this week

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
You might want to add more meat and less bone, when she does poop if it is dry and crumbly, too much bone for her. You can add ground beef to the mix.

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Hey all, final resolution Zahra is leaving gifts every four days like clock work. This isn't very frequent but from what I have read it's not all that uncommon for kittens on a raw diet. Her vet is not worried. I'm mixing in a little psyllium and water with one of her two daily meals and she seems great. Thank you all for the support :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is true that cats 'go' less often when on a raw diet although four days seems quite a long time to me. However, if the stools are normally formed and not hard or dry then it sounds like everything is functioning normally for her... glad things have resolved for you and Zahra!