Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Food?

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
Per the breeder's recommendation, I've been feeding Cyro Evo wet food and Royal Canin dry food (both of them kitten formulas). However, now that he's almost run out of the dry food (and is 6mon old), I'm re-evaluating his diet, hoping to find a dry food that is both healthy and costs less than Royal Canin. Also, he seems to be getting tired of his current diet, because when we visited my parent's house, he kept on trying for their cat's food and wouldn't eat much of his own (note: that hasn't continued to be a problem though, now that we're back home and it's his only option). I know it's important to feed both wet and dry, since cats frequently have problems with dehydration if you feed only dry.

Many have talked about the importance of a grain free diet, and one high in protein as well ...

Some also feed their cats a raw diet, which isn't an option for Cyro due to both the cost, and the fact that if he becomes a therapy cat, that isn't allowed.

Right now I'm looking at Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free Dry Cat Food. It costs approximately $1 less per pound than Royal Canin, and supposedly doesn't have chicken or poultry by-product meals, artificial preservatives, corn, wheat or soy.

What do you guys think? Is there a better, less expensive dry food I should be considering instead?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Alex,
Whatever you decide to try for Cyro, try a small amount before buying a lot. Just because it is higly rated does NOT mean he will eat it. My kids will not touch Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wet or dry. So it doesn't matter if it is better or not. I have decided I will feed them what they will eat. Right now, Taste of the wild dry and Royal Canin Adult instinctive wet and Fancy feast grilled chicken wet. Those they will all eat. Some kids will only eat fast food. I don't blame them, I HATE healthy food. Better to have them eat then not, even if what they are eating is not the best.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Alex,
There is a section for commercial food analysis and recommendations on Holisicat.com in their forum. You'll have to sign up for a free 7 day membership to read through the information there. If at all possible, it is far better to feed a wet diet than a dry one. Or a majority wet with a bit of dry. Variety of flavors is key to keeping a cat interested in food. A brand they love one day may not be the brand they want tomorrow. For that reason, finding a few different brands the cat will eat and rotating them for feedings will help alleviate food boredom.

John Popp

Site Supporter
In addition to the canned food, I would also introduce some dehydrated duck or rabbit's feet as Cyro is very much at that teething age and it will promote good dental hygiene.

Also, I agree on mixing up the food as much as possible. You can have much greater successes and smaller failures if you keep the target moving.

Last edited:

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
The rotating food sounds like a good idea ... which dry foods are inexpensive yet still good for Savannahs?

John Popp

Site Supporter
It's not inexpensive if they don't eat it.

if you can find a locally owned pet store in your neighborhood they generally have samples. That should get you started, and from there you can lock on to a brand or two for dry. Also, there aren't many dry foods that don't have grains as that's generally what gets the kibble to stay formed.

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
It seems the hospitals have a problem with it, at least, that's what the therapy pet organizations I've been looking into said.

DocMac

Site Supporter
Per the breeder's recommendation, I've been feeding Cyro Evo wet food and Royal Canin dry food (both of them kitten formulas). However, now that he's almost run out of the dry food (and is 6mon old), I'm re-evaluating his diet, hoping to find a dry food that is both healthy and costs less than Royal Canin. Also, he seems to be getting tired of his current diet, because when we visited my parent's house, he kept on trying for their cat's food and wouldn't eat much of his own (note: that hasn't continued to be a problem though, now that we're back home and it's his only option). I know it's important to feed both wet and dry, since cats frequently have problems with dehydration if you feed only dry.

Many have talked about the importance of a grain free diet, and one high in protein as well ...

Some also feed their cats a raw diet, which isn't an option for Cyro due to both the cost, and the fact that if he becomes a therapy cat, that isn't allowed.

Right now I'm looking at Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free Dry Cat Food. It costs approximately $1 less per pound than Royal Canin, and supposedly doesn't have chicken or poultry by-product meals, artificial preservatives, corn, wheat or soy.

What do you guys think? Is there a better, less expensive dry food I should be considering instead?
Raw is cheaper than canned.

Lost in the mountains.