Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Food?

Kanadian

Savannah Super Cat
Alex,
There is a section for commercial food analysis and recommendations on Holisicat.com in their forum. You'll have to sign up for a free 7 day membership to read through the information there. If at all possible, it is far better to feed a wet diet than a dry one. Or a majority wet with a bit of dry. Variety of flavors is key to keeping a cat interested in food. A brand they love one day may not be the brand they want tomorrow. For that reason, finding a few different brands the cat will eat and rotating them for feedings will help alleviate food boredom.
In introducing new foods, how closely do you have to rotate brands for it not to upset kitty's stomach? For example, once introduced properly, do you mean rotating each meal, or more rotating weekly type thing? I rotate flavors of canned but not brands.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Even flavors of the same brand can be an issue... I introduce new foods gradually... Just a little bit of a new food mixed with the old... Or just a little bit on its own...

John Popp

Site Supporter
It's largely related to peoples immune systems. Healthy people don't really have an issue with the raw foods we feed our pets. In a place where people have weakened immune systems, the patient risk is believed to outweigh the benefit.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
In introducing new foods, how closely do you have to rotate brands for it not to upset kitty's stomach? For example, once introduced properly, do you mean rotating each meal, or more rotating weekly type thing? I rotate flavors of canned but not brands.
Paige is correct. Add a little of the new food gradually into the current food. Once the cat is adjusted to the new food then it can be part of the rotation. How you rotate is up to you and the the cat's preferences. You can do it each meal or weekly. Another important reason for getting cats used to a few brands that I forgot to mention is the unfortunate increase in recalls of cat food due to contamination leading to health issues. If a cat is addicted to one brand or flavor of food that is recalled or becomes unavailable for some reason, then you're stuck trying to get a stubborn cat to accept a new food without benefit of transitioning from the old.

Kanadian

Savannah Super Cat
Paige is correct. Add a little of the new food gradually into the current food. Once the cat is adjusted to the new food then it can be part of the rotation. How you rotate is up to you and the the cat's preferences. You can do it each meal or weekly. Another important reason for getting cats used to a few brands that I forgot to mention is the unfortunate increase in recalls of cat food due to contamination leading to health issues. If a cat is addicted to one brand or flavor of food that is recalled or becomes unavailable for some reason, then you're stuck trying to get a stubborn cat to accept a new food without benefit of transitioning from the old.
I've followed that process for all introductions :) I just wondered if you stop feeding a certain type for a few weeks does it mean kitty won't be used to it when it comes into the rotation?