Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Fun things for your Savannahs?

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I would like to start a topic on activities. I like to throw something interesting at my cats to give them something different to do. I'm interested in new ideas, or any toys that anyone has found fun for their cats.

For example, I have taken a car board box with holes punched big enough for paws. I put chicken in which kept the 5 of mine busy for an hour.

I've also seen people use kiddie pools with fish.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My cats favorite toys are cardboard boxes and paper bags! I did just purchase a cheap toy that is attached to an elastic string that can then be attached to a doorknob - my kitties went crazy over that silly little toy, and it gave them great exercise as it bounced all over the place as they batted and grabbed for it.

K

Kronos

I once tried filling the tub up with some water and put a few feeder fish in there. I thought Kronos would go crazy, but he just stood in the water and watched them. Not even so much as a paw at one of them!

Now bottle caps are another story. He will play with one of those for hours.

Both my cats enjoy empty card board boxes and I will sprinkle cat nip inside in addition to what you described you already do.

A must have cat toy is called "da bird". Kronos will do flips in the air for that toy, he is crazy for it!

They both also love treats and enjoy a good training session. Kronos knows how to "shake" a paw now :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed on the value of cardboard boxes and paper bags as Savannah toys :)

Toys on elastic strings last a couple seconds here before someone snaps the cord tugging to off to their lair. Zak (F6 SBT) is a terrible toy hog...

Per Lausund

Staff member
Ours tend to play with the dishwasher (one has actually managed to unscrew the filter inside), DVD-player, all the remotes they can find, cupboards and anything else they find that they have the slightest idea will be an irritation or cause work for their human slaves...
They also play with socks (preferably with feet still inside), water and chandeliers. And flies! They compete for those!

Oh, and I forgot: if anything comes into the house in a bag or a box, it´s fair game and theirs to have... like the chargers for mobile phones and such: chewies!

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
You'll see our cardboard box fort when you come over. Its curretly under renovations due to whip loving to scratch it but they love boxes.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Oh yeah boxes are great. We had a huge box that was the size of a refrigerator. They had a blast with that one.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Ours tend to play with the dishwasher (one has actually managed to unscrew the filter inside), DVD-player, all the remotes they can find, cupboards and anything else they find that they have the slightest idea will be an irritation or cause work for their human slaves...
They also play with socks (preferably with feet still inside), water and chandeliers. And flies! They compete for those!

Oh, and I forgot: if anything comes into the house in a bag or a box, it´s fair game and theirs to have... like the chargers for mobile phones and such: chewies!

The sock idea is good also. I use to take baby socks, fill them with catnip. Then cut the top part so I could tie it closed with a bunch of nots so it would be frilly also.

T

tkymasters

Cracker Barrel sells these balls with raccoon tails attached to them.. the ball opens up and requires batteries, but turn it in and the ball will roll all over the floor with the fake raccoon tail flopping... They will pull the tail and it will act like something is trying to get away... I'll shoot a short clip next time we pick one up.. Kronos is known to rip the tail apart and then the ball.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I throw a sheet over a couple of chairs and they have a blast playing ambush. Laser lights are a big hit here also. I have a hand-held one and one that sits on the floor and randomly moves the light. And as Per said, just open an appliance and away they go.

Attachments

• bunsinoven.jpg
    bunsinoven.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 26