Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Harness and leash question......

Ssparrow

Savannah Teenager
When I started my boy on the harness , I never took him outside unless he was wearing his harness. He didn't take him long to get the connection Harness means outside.

Amanda

Savannah Super Cat
Glad to read this . . . I have one who can live with the harness, and another who doesn't let me get that far!

Is there a brand that you all have found that works best?

Samber

Savannah Super Cat
Glad to read this . . . I have one who can live with the harness, and another who doesn't let me get that far!

Is there a brand that you all have found that works best?

Google Joy katz. she makes them for Savannahs. The breeder i got my girl from told me that one she got a call form a lady, that had gotten a Savannah from her, to tell her that it got hit by a car and died because of the harness. A truck or something went by and layed on the horn that freaked the kitty out and she got out of the harness and ran away and got hit by another car. she said that joycatz makes some solid harnesses and that they wont get out of it either and said not to get a regular one from the pet store.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've used the Joykatz walking jackets since 2003...I love them! http://joykatz.net/walking_jackets.htm

I have found that properly fitted (the right size and they need to be firmly wrapped around their middle with no wiggle room) they are very secure. I've had to suspend a kitty more than once to bring to safety (aggressive dogs etc) and never had them wriggle out nor break out of the jacket.

There are other designs out there that are nice, Arden Morley of Camelottaspots makes some in some really cool fabric choices... but I keep going back to the Joykatz ones for the fit. They are a little curved in the cut around the neck that seems to sit better.

KMcgown

Site Supporter
Our kittens were about 3 months when we started and they all love it. They get very excited when we go into the drawer for the vest/leash. I love reading the comments about how the cats behave in the walking jacket! We had one cat that walked all the time so we got him a new stronger vest. Put it on him, he was fine started walking and he just fell over in mid-walk...so i pick him up and put him down he walks a little more and starts to go up the stairs, again, over like he is totally paralized. He never could get used to the stronger jacket so we had to go back. They are funny!