Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone heard of this breeder? Reputation?

jacq&nick

Savannah Teenager
I only know of the one in Florida, I purchased an F4 from them the end of December. She passed away from FIP and was replaced by the breeder (under the 1 year health guarantee which has to be a part of the contract per the state of Florida, it's under our "lemon law". Yeah, I know. It's a horrible term to apply to a baby). The second baby had the same daddy, different momma and passed away from the same disease.

I will say that when I contacted her after the initial vet visit that she was very engaged. We ended up bringing the new girl back to her after only having her for a couple of weeks. She took her to the vet (I think primarily to see if I was a horrible parent and should be banned for life from Savannah land) and when *her* vet validated what was going on, she offered to take care of her for as long as possible and allowed us to visit her daily every evening. Compassion wise, I give her a 10. Living up to her contract, also a 10. Quality, you be the judge on that one.

I paid over 6k in vet bills for the first baby and had another 1k into the second in less than 7 months. I agree, one way or another you're going to pay. Choice is yours as to whether it is on the front end or the back end.

I am looking for a new baby, but I am taking my time in finding the right breeder with the right angel. I cannot go through the last 7 months *again*.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh you poor people...two in a row is heartbreaking. I lost my Aziza to dry FIP four years ago and still thinking about her makes me tear up. It's an awful disease :-(

With the relatedness of the two kittens, I hope the breeder considered neutering the stud at that time... it points to a genetic flaw unless she somehow has a "hot" strain of the virus in her cattery.

I wish you the best of outcomes in your search for a new kitten!

jacq&nick

Savannah Teenager
@Brigitte, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how miserable it is for everyone and my heart goes out to you.

She did say that she was putting the daddy on a hiatus. The one momma just had a litter and she has a boy that is a spitting image of my first baby with some of the charateristics of my second. It's taking everything I have to not bring him home. He's so close to identical it literally hurts me and make me happy at the same time.

I've put a lot of research into FIP, looks like genetics play more of a role than the actual virus. Cleanliness impacts the viability of the virus in the environment and could help abate future issues. However, the best way to get it out of the environment would be to isolate the genetic issues and correct the lineage through breeding.

Like I said, all in all I don't have any complaints about the breeder. She is very knowledgable, accessible, and willing to do right by her families. I just wish I had someone at the end of the day to "yell" at me!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I can see the temptation to go with this kitten... does it have the same daddy as the other two?

I agree, most evidence points to immune system faults that likely have a genetic basis. Sometimes it is the mix of genes, hence it wasn't a bad idea for the breeder to try the sire with a different queen...but to have that litter also be susceptible to FIP does point to the stud needing to be retired.

I'm glad she has been accessible to you the customer. As breed chair I have repeatedly tried to contact her about another genetic disease one of her studs carries for and have had no reply to date.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I just wish I had someone at the end of the day to "yell" at me!

Your wish is my command :big grin: IF YOU WANT ANOTHER SAVANNAH KITTEN, CHECK OUT OUR BREEDER DIRECTORY, DON'T RISK "3 STRIKES YOU'RE OUT" WITH SUNSET EXOTICS. BRIGITTE SAYS THERE IS ANOTHER ISSUE WITH ONE OF HER STUDS. SO WHY TAKE A CHANCE ON MORE HEARTBREAK? Whew, I feel better, hope you feel better.

jacq&nick

Savannah Teenager
Is that the issue that is earlier in this thread? HCM? Or is it another issue?

Holly Grace and Jolie Eloise had the same daddy, different momma's. The one she has now has the same momma as Holly Grace, different daddy all together. But I do believe he's somehow related to Jolie's daddy. Somewhat confusing, I have a hard time keeping it straight. I do know that if and when she retires Holly Grace's momma, I want her desparately. She's gorgeous and so sweet. Maybe by then they'll have a good bead on a cure for FIP and I won't have to worry too terribly much as to what she might be a carrier for.

I hear you! I've been watching Tuminello here in Florida. I'll start a new thread to see what the overall consensus is on them.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
@WitchyWoman, thanks! Holly used to say "mommeeee" and "NOW"! She was a crazed little thing, but I do miss and love her so!

Your heartache is palpable in your posts. I have a visceral reaction each time I see those dreadful 3 letters of that dreadful disease. I fervently hope and wish and pray that you find another SV, or 2 or 3, to ease the pain of your losses and that the cat is healthy. Hugs to you.