Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone heard of this breeder? Reputation?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Is that the issue that is earlier in this thread? HCM? Or is it another issue?

Holly Grace and Jolie Eloise had the same daddy, different momma's. The one she has now has the same momma as Holly Grace, different daddy all together. But I do believe he's somehow related to Jolie's daddy. Somewhat confusing, I have a hard time keeping it straight. I do know that if and when she retires Holly Grace's momma, I want her desparately. She's gorgeous and so sweet. Maybe by then they'll have a good bead on a cure for FIP and I won't have to worry too terribly much as to what she might be a carrier for.

I hear you! I've been watching Tuminello here in Florida. I'll start a new thread to see what the overall consensus is on them.

No the issue I was hunting up is a newer (and reasonably speaking less horrific) disease (well newer in the attention we pay to it), PK Deficiency. A cat sired by one of her studs tested double positive for it (it's a recessive trait) and hence in wanting to know how far this has gone in our breed we were attempting to test backward in this line to see. Potentially the male might be KK also, but he might only be NK which would mean only 50% of progeny would carry for this. We don't know, without testing him we can't tell. Now if no queens there test positive for the K gene, this is not really an issue, a cat needs to inherit two copies of the K gene to have PK Deficiency. It's a simple dna test, only requiring $40 and a cotton swab.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You can if you wish... it would be nice to have Rafiki's PK Deficiency status. I think I heard that she is not using him as a stud any longer but he is the sire of some of her queens....hence it is still relevant info. We haven't had too many SVs test positive for this disease and of course we'd like it to stay that way!