Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello, new here.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I agree, John...I love Aby's! While I was watching the clip, it sounded as if they were describing a savannah kitten, somewhat...Aaron may want a spotted cat, but the Aby would certainly resemble the Savannah in personality...

John Popp

Site Supporter
I agree Paige, it does totally sound like my experience with a Savannah, although I wonder with a few less physical attributes and smaller size if I would have had all the drama I have experienced with Chongo. I certainly love him to death, and he pushes that line all the time with his daredevil tactics and I wouldn't have it any other way. I certainly had an Abby weighted in with our quest for another cat, although Chongo's size and athleticism pretty much backed me off. Just the same, I'd love to have an Abby in the mix, just need to get Chongo his rough and tumble playmate that can withstand his physical attributes out of the way first.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Thanks for the great intro post and welcome. Simply a great job of of letting us know who you are and what brought you here.

Given what you described and what you are looking for in a cat, I would definitely include in your research an Abby. As much as all of us revel in the antics of our SVs, we don't have anything on the Abyssinian owner. They are incredibly playful, enjoy a great deal of attention and are avid hunters. They pretty much fit what you're looking for and will make you laugh for a number of years while striking fear into your rodent issues.
Completely agreed on looking into the Abyssinian! When people ask us what our breed is like I often use that breed comparison because they probably are the most similar breed in terms of behavior and personality, just not looks! When at cat shows, we Savannah folk trade stories with the Abby folk and they are remarkable in similarity...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
John, Kristine (Gattobello Savannahs) had Abbys with her first Savannah and her 1st SV was a huge monster of a cat (over 30lbs of big F2 boy). It's easy to worry about the size thing but as long as it is equal in energy I think any sized cat could deal just fine...at least size has never been an issue here with F1 through F6 here in the house.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'm sure they have some stellar tales Brigitte! A colleague at work has one and about the only thing I can do to raise the bar a notch is describe that the carnage left in Chongo's wake was larger or he had to obtain greater height to get at it. Otherwise the stories are indeed very similar and he has given me quite a few tips that help us manage things. The best one was always stepping on the toilet paper before you put it on the holder. ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Nice link John!
Yeah, I definitely like that snapshot of Abbys. I'd love to have a small platoon of them just need to always stop one cat short of where the wife thinks I'm totally nuts. Not that she doesn't love the cats as much or more than I do, just a little better dialed into what changed when they outnumbered the people in our home. ;)

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
so abby, mau, oci, and pixie bobs........ i only need need though......how many will the wife let me get.

I am not sure how important size is to you but a Singapura may be a good option, they are incredibly intelligent cats but are a smaller size. If the wild look is what you want, the toyger breed is an option. They are a fully domestic mini-tiger. However, from the research I have done they are on the higher end when it comes to pricing and breeders are few and far between but they do exist.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
My Oci boy is extremely active and athletic, as well as a total love bug. He has personality galore, can be talkative at times, gets along with ANY cat, loves people, big and small.....I can't say enough about him! I am hoping to try him at a cat show that offers an agility course (Ocicats do very well at shows in that class) as my Rufus is fast and will follow a laser pointer anywhere, lol.

The downside is Ocicats are hard to come by with very few breeders around :( I've seen several on Petfinder, however.....