Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help! Cat won't stop peeing on the bed!

Matt D

Savannah Teenager
Hello all! My name is Matt and my girlfriend and I are newcomers to the Savannah family. We adopted Luxor (formerly Benji) about 3 months ago. He is a VERY warm and affectionate cat and loves his walks (we have a retractable leash for him to be able to run). We have a lot of different toys and a couple of cubes which he absolutely loves to run in and out of and he follows us around constantly (to the point that we think he has separation anxiety).

After we got him we had to move apartments due to our lease being up and my girlfriend finding a new job. When we moved he was totally fine, still very affectionate and energetic. We have (2) cat trees and a few cat shelves (which he is still getting used to).

We have (2) cat litter boxes which we change and clean totally anywhere from every 1-2 weeks. We feed him blue buffalo grain free food and have had his pee checked for a UTI and anything else that could be medically wrong with him and they have found nothing. We believe he is about 2-3 years old.

It started in our last apartment. My girlfriend and I were getting ready after work for a dinner with my co-workers. We normally come home and give him a lot of attention but we were in a rush. He jumped on the bed, looked directly at me and peed on the bed. I used natures miracle on the spot and washed the sheets and comforter with both Tide and more natures miracle. He did it again less than a week later. Due to the pee, I slept on the day bed we had at the time and I found after the fact that he had peed on that bed as well after I had slept there.

After that we kept him out of our bedroom unless we were in there (as he likes to sleep with us every night and lounge around on it during the day). When we moved, we decided that since he had been good, we would allow him in the room BUT we would put a plastic sheet over the bed (which we had heard would stop the act as they don't normally like to pee on plastic). Since that time he has peed on the bed, on the plastic sheet 4 times.

We have tried a different litter and the cat attract litter and nothing works. He does pee outside sometimes when we are on our walks and he uses the litter boxes most of the time, except for the few times I mentioned (I would say 8~10 times in 3~4 months).

We have gotten rid of the daybed as we wanted to get rid of anything that may confuse him (thinking he was more confused and getting used to peeing on the beds).

Today my girlfriend came home and she was in the bedroom changing after saying hello to him and he peed on the bed again. He did not pee since late yesterday evening which we thought was odd.

Our other issue with him is that he seems to want to play but he uses his teeth to get our attention. I have tried a spray bottle, which worked for a while. But even when he is exhausted, he still uses his teeth sometimes to the point that at night I am walking around at night and have to look over my shoulder because he likes to stalk us. Again, this isn't all the time as he is normally VERY affectionate and lovey.

Any help would be appreciated! Hopefully I put enough info in there to give a general idea of our situation.

Trish Allearz

Hey Matt! Welcome :) I am so sorry your boy's issues still have not resolved :(

Did you talk to Marilyn Krieger, the Cat Coach, as of yet? Also- did you do a full vet work-up on him to ensure there are no crystals/blockages?

S

shelby

My question would be.......was he a breeder prior to you getting him? The other question would be..what age was he neutered? I might also urge you to talk with the breeder or prior owner. They will be the bestones to help you...I do believe. If they don't know you are hjaving this problem...they can't help you;>)

D

Dantes

My ragdoll did (I mean does) this peeing on the bed, right in the spot I sleep in, while I'm watching. He has been tested for everything under the sun. Best we can tell it really is anxiety. The last couple of times he did it, I could hear it in his voice even! His meow was really whiny, but a weak whiny. The last time he peed on the bed was July 4, and before that July 2 (I now have a calendar of it) which exactly coincides with some personal stress and anxiety I was going through (long story). He hasn't done it since July 4 which for him is a REALLY REALLY long time for him.

At this point I don't think it has to do with smells, or problems with the litterbox, but it is totally an anxiety-related issue in that when he becomes upset for any minor reason, his bladder gets irritated and he really does have physical discomfort--early on when it started, there was blood present in the urine, but not lately. I am giving him some flower essences that came from a holistic vet as well as Tinkle Tonic and Omega-3, he gets NO dry food at all but one can of Weruva plus some raw Primal every day. The regular vet wanted to put him on prozac, which might be the next thing to try, but I am skeptical because the vet said the dry food had nothing to do with it and of course wanted him on Science Diet.

I also contacted an animal communicator, not sure how helpful this was but she said that I didn't spend enough time with him, just him on his own, and made the usual suggestions about litterboxes and type of litter, and an hour after I got off the phone with her (6/22) he peed on the bed again. Granted I was stressed then too, so if he's going off my anxiety then it makes sense, but that was really disappointing.

What I did for the bed was I bought a wee pad that they sell for kids, terry on top and plastic on the bottom. When he does it I wash everything in Oxy Clean and vinegar. I spray the mattress (even though it technically isn't wet) with Zero Odor. Earlier on he did it on the leather sofa, I used a combo of vinegar and saddle cleaner for that and he hasn't done it on the sofa (knock on wood) in months.

Trish Allearz

My question would be.......was he a breeder prior to you getting him? The other question would be..what age was he neutered? I might also urge you to talk with the breeder or prior owner. They will be the bestones to help you...I do believe. If they don't know you are hjaving this problem...they can't help you;>)
He is a rescue. No past history to go off of :-(

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Matt, and welcome :)

When I first got my cat Zeus, he had a couple of accidents on my bed as well. My breeder had mentioned to me that comforters often feel like kitty litter to a kitten, especially down comforters. What kind of bedding do you use. If a comforter, try switching to something else and see if that doesn't help. I've been sleeping with a couple of light blankets on my bed due to the heat, and he hasn't had a problem in near a month. Before when using the comforter, it wouldn't be more than 24 hrs after washing it, that he would do it again. Like you, I used enzyme cleaner to clean the comforter with.

I hope this helps. :)

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I had a chausie that would get really excited when I got home from work, and when I went into my bedroom to change clothes, he'd pee on the bed. I put a box in my master bath, and when I got home and opened the bedroom door, I put him in the box, and he would go. Eventually it got to the point where he would run right to the box and use it when I went into the bedroom.

Trish Allearz

Hey Matt! Welcome :) I am so sorry your boy's issues still have not resolved :(

Did you talk to Marilyn Krieger, the Cat Coach, as of yet? Also- did you do a full vet work-up on him to ensure there are no crystals/blockages?
Sorry, just saw you did the vet work up :-( Marilyn is still my number one suggestion at this point.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, Matt has contacted us about Luxor some time ago, but as I hadn't heard more from him I figured that: (1) the problem was resolved, or (2) he'd contacted Marilyn and was working on it with her guidance. I am sorry to hear it was (3) none of the above :-(

I think I did tell you that Nature's Miracle is not a very effective enzyme cleaner, and to instead use either AntiIckyPoo or Unique Distributor's Odor Eliminator, both of which are tried and trusted products. Soak overnight and then launder in fragrance free laundry detergent and no bleach.

There were many suggestions, but that sprang to mind when I read what you wrote. But if you've identified a behavior...him peeing when you didn't pay him attention...it just may be that you need to play for 2 minutes on entering the home no matter what?

I think Marilyn would be the best option still though!