Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help segregating feeding

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
So this morning I hear some crunching in the master bath. Mayhem. He looks at me , looks at the bowl which is close to empty, I get the message. More. Now would be nice. This is what I mean by he will tell you things.
I have similar problems to Chongo with the wet food. I have found if I place Mayhem at the food, pet him, and encourage him to eat, he will. (I hate being trained.)

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'll give that a go. Chongo just seems to know that the other cats are vulnerable while they are eating and also exactly where they are. They certainly don't leave any room for things to keep your mind sharp.

admin

Paige
Staff member
So this morning I hear some crunching in the master bath. Mayhem. He looks at me , looks at the bowl which is close to empty, I get the message. More. Now would be nice. This is what I mean by he will tell you things.
I have similar problems to Chongo with the wet food. I have found if I place Mayhem at the food, pet him, and encourage him to eat, he will. (I hate being trained.)

I am actually having these issues myself...Zuri wants to eat 90 times a time, but she is an intact female and high strung, always busy, so she actually needs it...you would never guess how much she eats by looking at her. She eats higher up though than everyone else, since she is also cranky...

Cinny is VERY picky, just like her mother...she will usually only eat raw, but has been turning her nose up at it, which is very frustrating...so I am going to try the raw chicken recipes and see if that will peak her interest again.

Ixas eats anything ;) Ixas is the most laid back, easiest, sweetest boy to take care of...he is a big boy and eats quite a bit...but he is also a growing boy.

Taj, my 3 yo savannah has gained quite a bit of weight since I have had the kittens...he eats any food leftover from the kittens...no one goes near Zuri's food, but she only eats raw...I know I am going to hear a lecture about Taj when I take him to the vet, so need to stop his behavior ASAP...I guess picking up the kitten bowls will do it...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I'll give that a go. Chongo just seems to know that the other cats are vulnerable while they are eating and also exactly where they are. They certainly don't leave any room for things to keep your mind sharp.
Yeah! OMG! This is one of Mayhem's shenanigans! He is driving me nuts with exploiting vulnerabilities!
Paige, Mayhem is a skinny cat. But his low appetite does not seem to be a health or energy issue!

John Popp

Site Supporter
It isn't at all about getting at their food, but rather knowing that the door is open to torment them. This of course is the precursor for access to Chongo's food which the other two would both prefer. Game on!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
It isn't at all about getting at their food, but rather knowing that the door is open to torment them. This of course is the precursor for access to Chongo's food which the other two would both prefer. Game on!
Yes! It's all about the tormenting! And the litter box is fair game to him. (That "look" in your avatar. Yeah, I know it.)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I guess I'm lucky that my cats all eat the same (for another week or so). It's my dogs that I worry about. I have one cat whose best friend is a dog. He will knock the bowls off the feeding shelf to the dog below.
Yes, we had that same problem with our beagle. Our first breeding SV queen adored him and would push food off benches and tables for him...

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I think you will either have to stay with the separate dining areas as you've been doing, but maybe work on it not being areas they can access the other cat's area so easily. Crate training likely would be the answer if you want to be regimented about what they eat. Or sit there supervising them as they eat, continually pulling off each other's bowls. It would be like children that way though, obviously they would think the other kid is getting better food and they want it. Grass is greener and all that.
That's what I have to do with Razi.