Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Home Made Pellet Litter Box

Paul B

Sorte
I don't think I saw a tutorial on this yet. Here is how I make my pellet litter boxes for Sorte. The largest regular litter boxes I could find were not big enough for him, so I had to find a solution that allowed for more room for him while having the ability to save pellets while still keeping the box clean. The ones online run between $20-40 and I wasn't going to pay that when he needs at least 3 boxes in the house, I might get one more as he is a picky guy, LOL!

DSCN2435.JPG
First I bought a 10 gallon Rubbermaid at Wally World for $8 I believe it was. Then, I sized up a drill bit that was the same size as the pellets or just a tad bigger (it's not likely that whole pellets are going to fall through if the holes are just a bit bigger). I then spent about 20 minutes drilling away at the bottom of the box. This allows for the sawdust created after a bathroom visit to fall through the bottom with a few shakes and tipping it from one side to the other.
DSCN2436.JPG
Then I took the lid for the box right side up and I placed a few colorful thumb tacks to hold the box up from sitting directly on the lid. If it is sitting directly on the lid the pee spreads along the bottom and soaks up more pellets than needed.
DSCN2437.JPG
Here is Sorte letting me know what he thinks about the finished product. :) I try to keep a layer of pellets just big enough to cover about an inch off the bottom. If there is too many pellets it becomes much harder to sift the sawdust out as it just get caught in the pellets instead of falling to the bottom.

It's very easy to make and definitely worth the half an hour of work to finish one. ;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, paul! that is very cool!!! So can one do this with the 32 gallon rubbermaid containers and use the top the same way?

Paul B

Sorte
I would assume so as long as you cut a hole for them to walk into. I didn't try those because they seemed too tall. But, then again he does fine with his boxes and I know that other cats may need more of a wall for either privacy or because their aim is not too good... LOL! :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
LOL!!! it looks great!!! I have the 32 gallon already with a door cut in it...so when I try Equine pine, I may have to use your tutorial! Great job!!

Paul B

Sorte
Glad I could spread the word! :) I bet it will work out just fine for you Paige. Plus it is soooooo much cheaper to use pellets in comparison to clumping litter. Plus IMO its easier to deal with.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have a question...the holes then run onto the lid...so pee runs through the pellets onto the lid? Is there an absorbent pad there or do you then have a puddle of pee (what wasn't absorbed by the wood as it ran through) sitting on that lid until it dries? I like the sieving idea but wondering about the urine puddles at the bottom...

Paul B

Sorte
For a short amount of time there may be a puddle, but if you shake the box after a bit to let the sawdust come through, it all gets absorbed. I'm sure you could place something else under there to absorb what leaks through also though.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
OK then! Just trying to work out the dynamics. There is that Breeze litterbox system that has something like a puppy pee pad underneath the non-absorbent pellets...maybe that would work... interesting.

Paul B

Sorte
OK then! Just trying to work out the dynamics. There is that Breeze litterbox system that has something like a puppy pee pad underneath the non-absorbent pellets...maybe that would work... interesting.

Most of the time you just worry about that after the first pee. Once there is already a layer of sawdust on the bottom it does a good job of soaking up future visits. :) But, yes those puppy pads would also work.