Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How much "kitten" is left in a 6 month old?

Trish Allearz

Does this look like an F3?

The mom is an F2 and dad is F7 SBT. Does that make an F3?
Yes, that'd make an F3- but honestly, I couldn't judge him without seeing his parents. I have seen F2s that look more like F4s and F2s that look F1 and F6s that look as nice as F2s. There is soo much variance.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Does this look like an F3?

The mom is an F2 and dad is F7 SBT. Does that make an F3?

I've seen so many pics of cats doing Savannah Rescue for over 10 years now, and there can be a huge range in "type" across that generation depending on the outcrosses used to create the Savannahs in the pedigree. Some you might be fooled into thinking it really is an F2 and others you think "really?".

In terms of this kitten, the body is more muscular and heavy boned than we might expect. And the face is broad and short with smaller ears than I would want to see in my own cats at that age. Different programs have different priorities.... he's got a bold pattern for example and some programs are concentrating on getting the larger more separated spots. And that program might look at some of my cats and shudder at the barred (stripey almost) patterns with less separation of spots as my focus has been on different Serval traits. He's got a really nice thick tail too... I know that seems a funny thing to mention but it is something we want in our Savannahs. So what we as breeders fixate on can be different from what you the pet buyer want...

cbain

Site Supporter
We received the papers with our 2 F3's from the breeder to register them with the TICA , all Savannahs are different , if you like the kitten that's great and that's all that matters , our oldest savannah cat is a 20 month old female and she has a lot of kitten in her and from what I hear F5 and so on are the same, this is something I like in the Savannah breed .

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
Think about what Serval traits you want to see in your Savannah... some people are more fixated on coat color and how bold the spotting is... while others (like me) want to see an elegant face structure, large upright ears, and small boomerang-shaped eyes with long legs and a lean body.

wait I cant want/love/fixate on them all?!?!?! :) I've been doing this all wrong.

Lesley

Site Supporter
We have 2 nine mos old F6s and they wear us out every day. They are super fired up and kittenish. I have a feeling this is not going to change anytime soon. So, if ur heart is won, go for it.

Alicia

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, 6 months old is plenty young!! I wouldn't worry about that at all. I trend to focus on personality first and looks second, though lucky for me I feel I got the best of both ;) so make sure to ask about his personality!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I got Nyah at a little over 6 mos and she was definitely a kitten. She is 18 months and still a kitten, just in a bigger body. Kovu is 7 months now and very much a kitten. He reminds me of a Great Dane puppy, all legs and feet bounding around.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
At 6 months, Rafiki was ALL kitten ALL the time! At 11 months old, she has not slowed down at all. I would not be concerned with him not being playful. At 6 months, I would want to make sure that he has been properly socialized however.

I agree with others here that the body is a bit muscular for a Savannah but then again, they vary so much, even within the same litter. I did notice the short thick tail though....the tail usually gets long and skinny in the later generations so that for me points towards an F3. Bottom line....what is his personality like? I originally was looking for a tawny F2 male. I fell in love with Rafiki....a cool F3 female! Generation and coloring do not matter...I am her slave for life!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, 6 months old is plenty young!! I wouldn't worry about that at all. I trend to focus on personality first and looks second, though lucky for me I feel I got the best of both ;) so make sure to ask about his personality!
Totally agreed, Alicia! Especially at 6 months of age, the breeder should be able to give you good information on his personality for you to know if he's the right kitten for you... and I agree, these kitties are going to be living with you for years, their personality should be an important consideration :)