Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How to Know a Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dantes

Hi Paige,

Not really. I think this is an impossible task, searching in pictures for a kitty's personality, when most of the time they're even too young to have personalities. :-/ Eliminating the kitties that are too expensive doesn't leave many to choose from. Waiting for the kitties to be old enough to have personalities, and eliminating those that get snatched before you get a chance to even ask is yet another elimination. And there are a lot of breeders that just don't update their webpages, you look at a kitty and think, well, maybe, but then you contact the breeder to find out the kitty is no longer for sale or never was (already sold, kept by breeder, etc).

I've decided to take a break. For a while Dante seemed to be screaming for a buddy, and he still does from time to time, but he seems to have settled down a bit for now.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I understand completely...maybe what will happen is you will see a kitten somewhere along the way that will grab your heart and that will be the kitten you choose. I agree it can be very difficult...I also agree that breeders need to update their websites (sorry everyone) - it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't like outdated content...but often, life takes over and the care of cats/kittens takes over and websites are low on the list of priorities.

also...maybe you will find a breeder you would like to buy from and it could be that they don't have any kittens now, but will later...perhaps you can email/call that breeder and talk to him/her.

Since I was able to see Taj grow up, week by wee, in person, I saw his personality by about 5 weeks...it is difficult to do that when you are looking online, but a breeder should be able to tell you...Zuri was bought from pictures and talking to the breeder and that is how many, many people buy savannah kittens.

I do think cats get lonely, especially savannah cats - eventually you will find what you are looking for. And if we can help you in any way, we will.

M

MK Anderson

Well I was corresponding with one of the breeder's references, she said "One of the kittens has had a condition called Tritrichomonas foetus which is a parasite found in water and needs to be treated. Some cats get it and some don't, she was more sensitive as the others did not get it. It was easily treated."

I just read Brehart's thread about this and the cure sounds terrible. I think it's time to look for a new breeder.

:(
I would move on myself. first, if your gut feeling is not good, I would go with it. 50.00 dollars is a lot. my breeder filled out, send in and paid for it all. I just got his papers in the mail a few weeks after getting Keeba :). She also neutered him too for me which was included in his price....

D

Dantes

I also agree that breeders need to update their websites (sorry everyone) - it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't like outdated content...but often, life takes over and the care of cats/kittens takes over and websites are low on the list of priorities.

I hear you on this...although it's hard to imagine, maybe it's just that not all cat people are technically inclined ;) but I wonder if there is a way to help them. I'm a webmaster/computer geek too, and I know I hate having to update my flat html sites, but on the other hand, a blog which can be updated directly from a mobile phone, which can also take pictures, could make the process easier...technology has come a long way lol...just an idea to put out there.

I'm taking a break from the search, but it's definitely with my eyes open. :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have designed some breeder websites and updated savannah breed and other websites to make then easier to manage. None are flat html...I just don't design that way anymore...

D

Dantes

I have designed some breeder websites and updated savannah breed and other websites to make then easier to manage. None are flat html...I just don't design that way anymore...
hehe...I manage an intranet for the US gov't...just try to get them to do anything other than "what they've always done" :roflmao:

Trish Allearz

I update mine! LOL! A few pet peeves I have...

Inquiring about a kitten that is already sold
Outdated breeders' websites
Inquiring seriously about a kitten and then having the breeder sell it while you are in an active conversation about said kitten (look- I understand- I'm a breeder too- BUT if I was in the conversation first and inquiring about guarantees, contracts, etc- and then someone comes up and says, 'I have the money- I want it NOW'- I think the nice thing is to tell the person you already were in a conversation with that another person has now inquired and is serious about purchasing)

BUT my website is not as flashy as most... I have a few people who have asked to do my site for me, but I always turn them down because I don't want to depend on someone else to update my site. I like updating stories/pictures/show pictures/available kittens, etc, at the drop of a hat when I have the time. So I trade off a really pretty site for a very functional site.

admin

Paige
Staff member
trish, I really like your website...doesn't have to be flashy, as long as the info is there and it is kept up-to-date.

The websites I design, unless they are for major companies, give the breeders I have designed for, the ability to update their own websites. I know that I lose money that way, since I am not charging for doing the updates, but I prefer to help my fellow breeders by giving them the flexibility and ability to manage their own site. If they need help, I am always there to help them...

D

Dantes

Inquiring seriously about a kitten and then having the breeder sell it while you are in an active conversation about said kitten (look- I understand- I'm a breeder too- BUT if I was in the conversation first and inquiring about guarantees, contracts, etc- and then someone comes up and says, 'I have the money- I want it NOW'- I think the nice thing is to tell the person you already were in a conversation with that another person has now inquired and is serious about purchasing)

OMG, this happened to me. I was in an active conversation with someone over a few days. I even said "I want him" on the 2nd day and "tell me what to do to send a deposit" and looking back I don't know how I could have been more direct about it, but instead of telling me what to do, she delayed and 2 days later he was sold to someone else. I felt like I wasn't even given a chance. At first I thought, well, it wasn't meant to be. But later after she apologized for "miscommunication" I realized I really was a bit heartbroken.

Personally, I prefer sites that are *not* flashy, as long as they are up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.