Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hurt his leg

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
Last night before I went to work simba was playing in his cat tree and fell out. He was limping on his front left leg.
When I got home this morning he had a very slight limp but would hold his paw off the ground when he sat. This evening after I work up I really didn't see him limp but be does still hold his paw off the ground when sitting.
So I guess my question is when do you take them to the vet and when do you take the wait and see approach?
Thanks

Sunny

Loyal Servant
It sounds like a sprain and it will heal naturally on its own in a matter of days.

You can do a touch test, carefully place your fingertip against the base of the paw and the toes and then rest your thumb on top. Will he let you gently massage or wiggle his toes or paw or does he pull away, howl, hiss, growl?

He might wiggle or be uncomfortable touching his paws normally, but you are looking for a swift, immediate reaction other than Dad pestering him to play with his footsies.

If he's already showing improvement and not hobbling around like a cripple, he sounds fine to me!

On a funnier note, my male Anubis will do this as a behavioral response to stimulus when he is thinking, staring at me, or apprehensive instead of in response to a medical condition, usually accompanied by head tilts sideways or raising his nose in the air with a wiggle. It's bizarre.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I am a nervous cat mom.
My boys go to the vet at a drop of a hat, so take my words with a grain of salt. I would probably take him to the vet in the next 48 hours if he does not start behaving normally.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I noticed one of my boys limping several weeks ago, after two days he was still favoring the foot so I took him to the vet. He'd broken two bones in his foot and has been crated and wearing a splint ever since until yesterday it finally got to come off. He is still favoring the foot but I am hoping that is just a little atrophy from being so long in a splint and will resolve in a few days.

Per Lausund

Staff member
Last night before I went to work simba was playing in his cat tree and fell out. He was limping on his front left leg.
When I got home this morning he had a very slight limp but would hold his paw off the ground when he sat. This evening after I work up I really didn't see him limp but be does still hold his paw off the ground when sitting.
So I guess my question is when do you take them to the vet and when do you take the wait and see approach?
Thanks
Simba is one-and-a-half yrs old, right?
If he still won´t take any load on his leg, and won´t let you feel for broken bones, the vet is the answer, at least to get some painkiller. I´d normally just use my fingers to palpate the bones ( see Sunny´s post above) and feel if they are normal, and x-ray if I found any symptoms that could mean broken stuff. Don´t wait too long, and good luck!

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Ouch!!! Sounds like that really hurt! Hope it's nothing serious, and he feels better soon.