Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I didn't get a kitten, but my brother did!

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
Normal -- he either is caching the food (burying it for later) or he is expressing displeasure for the food or the dish or the location or any number of things that only the cat knows.

Ah, this makes sense and I feel it is something I have also read on the forum before, so thank you for repeating it :). Well he does kind of hoard the treats we give him so I hope he isn't too offended by something and its just hes saving it for later.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
He hoards his treats? How cute. Maybe that non rag doll part of his heritage is part squirrel. My first cat used to hoard houseflies. Stashed them under the sofa after tearing off one wing. She always had a handy supply of toys at her disposal.

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
He hoards his treats? How cute. Maybe that non rag doll part of his heritage is part squirrel. My first cat used to hoard houseflies. Stashed them under the sofa after tearing off one wing. She always had a handy supply of toys at her disposal.

haha well he'll eat half and let the other half fall out of his mouth and put it somewhere for later. Fortunately he is a smart kitty and he can already sit haha...for a treat ;). Clicker is in the mail! Im sure he is mixed with some sort of DSH as a lot of cats tend to be when they are from a shelter and look like him. He loves playing with a golf or ping pong ball...unfortunately when he rolls it under the couch or anything else he wines until we get it for him, but that'll stop soon enough.

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
He's got you two fetching. Great news for your potential savannah--you'll be partially trained:big grin:

Yeah he chirps too, im really getting some good practice in....Unfortunately I don't feel like im ready for a two cat household so I really will be waiting quite a while until I get a SV.

D

Dantes

oes anyone with ragdoll experience have any idea how big we can expect the kitten to get? My brother and his GF named him pancakes incase anyone was wondering. He has an affinity for boxes and the bathtub..like many other kitties :).

Awww, super cute! Unfortunately, a ragdoll mix isn't a ragdoll at all, and it's highly unlikely that the cat is "half-ragdoll" to being with. I know with Savannahs it's different, that you can kinda figure out what they are by what they look like; but a ragdoll is a specifically-bred cat, and several other breeds (especially the completely unrelated Birman) can often be confused with them. Due to the ragdoll breeding program (which is relatively new years-wise) it's highly unlikely that a true ragdoll would be wandering outside randomly breeding with stray cats. Also ragdolls have a super-laid back personality...so much so, that they really can't be let outside on their own, as they have very few faculties for defense (think the complete opposite of Savannah). Absent being able to trace a microchip or paperwork, it's more likely that your brother's kitty is half Siamese and half long-hair cat, or maybe half maine coon?, which would give it it's pointed look and long hair.

At any rate, he is really cool, and most people that seek out the ragdoll breed are seeking out certain characteristics, such as the laid-back personality, floppiness, big bone structure, pointed or bicolor patterns, etc. so if you got those characteristics in a non-ragdoll cat then consider yourself lucky! Once you have adopted a pet cat, unless you were planning on showing or breeding, it's pedigree really doesn't make much difference...other than, like you said, to know what to expect.

As far as the size of a typical Ragdoll, some can be as big as 30 lbs or more...my Dante is rather small for his breed, at 12 lbs, so it can vary quite a bit. Ragdolls have a fat pad on their bellies making them look like they're actually fatter than they are.

Just for kicks, here is a picture of a Birman flame point:

and a Ragdoll flame point:

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
Awww, super cute! Unfortunately, a ragdoll mix isn't a ragdoll at all, and it's highly unlikely that the cat is "half-ragdoll" to being with. I know with Savannahs it's different, that you can kinda figure out what they are by what they look like; but a ragdoll is a specifically-bred cat, and several other breeds (especially the completely unrelated Birman) can often be confused with them. Due to the ragdoll breeding program (which is relatively new years-wise) it's highly unlikely that a true ragdoll would be wandering outside randomly breeding with stray cats. Also ragdolls have a super-laid back personality...so much so, that they really can't be let outside on their own, as they have very few faculties for defense (think the complete opposite of Savannah). Absent being able to trace a microchip or paperwork, it's more likely that your brother's kitty is half Siamese and half long-hair cat, or maybe half maine coon?, which would give it it's pointed look and long hair.

At any rate, he is really cool, and most people that seek out the ragdoll breed are seeking out certain characteristics, such as the laid-back personality, floppiness, big bone structure, pointed or bicolor patterns, etc. so if you got those characteristics in a non-ragdoll cat then consider yourself lucky! Once you have adopted a pet cat, unless you were planning on showing or breeding, it's pedigree really doesn't make much difference...other than, like you said, to know what to expect.

As far as the size of a typical Ragdoll, some can be as big as 30 lbs or more...my Dante is rather small for his breed, at 12 lbs, so it can vary quite a bit. Ragdolls have a fat pad on their bellies making them look like they're actually fatter than they are.

Just for kicks, here is a picture of a Birman flame point:

and a Ragdoll flame point:

Thanks for the info and pictures! I was thinking maine coon as well because of his face. We don't really mind, but whatever he is he is a great kitty...most of the time. He seems to be biting a bit now but were working on it.

D

Dantes

Thanks for the info and pictures! I was thinking maine coon as well because of his face. We don't really mind, but whatever he is he is a great kitty...most of the time. He seems to be biting a bit now but were working on it.
Hehe, if the tactic of saying OUCH! high pitched and loud doesn't work, then my next response is to bite 'em back ;)

Incidentally, Maine Coons share a lot of the same personality traits with Ragdolls. The digging thing is one of them. They bury just about everything...food they don't want to eat (whether they are full or don't particularly care for a certain taste), water after they've had a sip from a bowl, and they're big litterbox diggers, mine dig even after getting out of the litterbox lol.

He is super cute, enjoy! :)

D

Dantes

PS. I forgot to mention that all Ragdolls have blue eyes. It's a requirement for the breed, there is no such thing as a Ragdoll without blue eyes. On the other hand, Maine Coons may or may not have blue eyes.

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
PS. I forgot to mention that all Ragdolls have blue eyes. It's a requirement for the breed, there is no such thing as a Ragdoll without blue eyes. On the other hand, Maine Coons may or may not have blue eyes.

I saw this in a lot of pictures that all of their eyes were blue but wasn't sure if it was a requirement. It might not show in the pictures but his eyes are in fact blue.