Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Im a Savannah owner.....well in 2 wks ill be.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Mr. & Mrs. Coolcat -- you are very lucky people. That marble kitten is stunning. I've got a soft spot for marbles and if DH would let me have just 1 more SV, I'd hold out for a marble. Sounds like your Bengal is going to be teaching the new kid some bad habits. LOL.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That is a very stunning kitten and one that leaves me scratching my head as to why the breed standards are so restrictive. Fortunately there are enough breeders who stray from the norm and also enough happy genetic accidents that we have beautiful kittens such as this.
Mainly because our breed standard is written to resemble a domestic version of the Serval, and they don't come in a marbled pattern.

I do think over time the standard will change to allow more colors and patterns, but really it doesn't matter to the pet owner in any case, they are all registered as Savannahs...it only affects what can be shown.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't have a clue about the sheeted marble designation, but we also had our aims on a kitten that exuded a lot of confidence amongst his litter mates and the first of the bunch to greet humans without apprehension. That we ended up with a classic example of a savannah is really just a misnomer and the wrapper won't matter much when they become part of your household.
I think she means when the marble is not nearly so dramatic and distinct... it kinda blurs like it's been smeared when they call it a "sheeted marble". It's more Bengal terminology as the Bengal breed accepts the marble pattern.

Mischief

Savannah Super Cat
Absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with her. And Bridgette, you are so right when you said that the only thing that matters to pet owners is that they are a Savannah.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Hello, this is Coolcat's wife. So sorry, he must have mistaken you for another member who lives across the border from us in Pennsylvania. He did have the right cat though! My husband researches the heck out of everything, and choosing the right SV for our family had his head spinning. One time, I heard a crash in the kitchen...there was Cleo, on the refrigerator, knocking knicknacks off the wall. I guess I better start Savannah proofing the house now!

Very cool...it's funny, before settling on Shango for our cat's name, we were going to name him Triton! Good name...;) yep, that's also exactly what I did prior to Shango's arrival, spent about 1 week SV proofing the home. ..dj