Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Inbreeding by breeders

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I don't know anything about breeding cats.
I understand that some breeders line breed in the interest of improving the breed, and that some do it to cut costs. I would hope that the former outweigh the latter.
I would hope that the good ones only do it when they think the possible benefit outweighs the possible cost, and I would hope that if they discover an attractive trait that comes long with a genetic issue, that they would choose to stop the cross.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte - I don't know many breeders who have inbred or line bred, and of those it was a rare occasion. I have seen some pedigrees where the same cat appears several times and don't really know what the rationale was, but suspect (knowing the cattery) it was more because it was all they had on hand rather than a purposeful attempt to inbreed/line breed to produce a specific trait.

There are definitely breeders who do this, but, in my experience anyway, it is not a common or habitual practice.

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not sure I agree... there are many breeders that work to reduce an inbreeding coefficient and avoid that kind of inbreeding. Although it can be difficult to find a Savannah that one wants in one's program that doesn't share something like a great-greatgrandfather that is the level of "inbreeding" that is more common in our breed than siblings or parent-offspring matings.

How can you reproduce type if you have a low inbred coefficient? Especially in a hybrid breed?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I believe selective breeding is so very important. That's what sets apart those later generation Savannahs that really look amazing...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well, and look at how many decades it's taken us to get there - creating a breed is NOT easy!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, many of the traits we are wanting just didn't come easily... but I think most of us were just stubborn enough to see it through ;-)

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, I believe selective breeding is so very important. That's what sets apart those later generation Savannahs that really look amazing...

Yes but how can you lock in type without inbreeding/linebreeding? It's impossible, no? Sure, you might get one or two winners that pop up, but they will have little to no ability to pass on their traits reliably.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't think so. My current F5 SBT pairing doesn't seem to play out the way you are thinking. They are not inbred, yet three litters in a row have produced more than one kitten in each of those litters that has been winning in shows. Three litters in a row seems consistent to me...

I think selective breeding can select for the genes to give you good consistent type. It's just a different tactic than inbreeding... and possibly it takes longer to get that type but it avoids the health issues of inbreeding and the selection of bad traits also. In my experience inbreeding can bring out the worst too...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I can only hope to someday have as nicely consistent and very typey kitten litters as Brigitte has produced. IMO, her F5SBT babies look more like F3's, and nicer even than some F2's being produced....the proof is there, as she states, that selective breeding is the key no matter how long that takes to produce kittens and cats that we can be proud of, who do well in the show ring as well as going to other breeders...and as beloved and beautiful, healthy and well-socialized pets with great temperaments. And yes, it IS a very long process to get to that point....I'm in it for the long haul :)