Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Introducing a new F2 kitten to my 12 Y.O. DSH

admin

Paige
Staff member
Chris, you are right...F4 SBT's and later can be shown as they are savannah to savannah breeding and therefore referred to as purebreds...has nothing to do with aggression...that being said, any cat can be a bit aggressive in the show hall due to all the sounds and smells and people...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hi Aaron, I do remember your wife emailing me and I hope that I helped allay her fears somewhat. As for not being able to show earlier than F4 generation, as Chris said there must be three generations of Savannah x Savannah breeding to be considered a 'purbred' and thus eligible to compete in championship rings.

However, the person at TICA was probably also referring to some very old history - when the Bengal was first introduced to TICA. Early generation Bengals are not always outgoing and friendly like F1-F3 Savannahs tend to be. The Asian Leopard is known to be a fairly shy animal. There were some injuries in the show hall by an early gen Bengal and a rule was passed that only F3 or later generation hybrids (of any breed) could be shown (although earlier generations can still be brought for exhibition with permission from the show manager). I would like to point out that there has never been a serious injury by a Savannah that I am aware of in the show hall, and this includes the early generations that were allowed to show during our Savannah-Rama rings (also a piece of history):

Savannah-Rama, TICA Annual 2011 in Philadelphia.jpg

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
I have to say, you guys are amazing when it comes to support and information! So glad I found this forum!!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have to say, you guys are amazing when it comes to support and information! So glad I found this forum!!

Good to hear... An you may find a few of us cut up from time to time... You will figure out which ones of us it is...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
She actually talked to someone at TICA before being given your names (Brigitte and Patti)... and the lady told her that Savannah's above F3 or F4 can't be shown due to a fear of aggression toward their breeders (or those showing them). I'm assuming this is complete B.S.!!

I don't know who she talked to at TICA, but many in that office are merely office staff...so not cat people per se.

The historical reason for the F3 and further for showing (F3 for new breed rings and F4 for championship) goes back ~30 years when the Bengal breed was first hitting the showhalls. So before the Savannah breed existed in TICA. We are following the same rules set down for the Bengal breed in the early days... so it has nothing to do with any behavior ever seen with Savannahs.

It also has to do with the perception of what makes a breed? At the F1 level they are truly a hybrid of two species. In the cat world, for ALL breeds, a cat is considered "purebred" when it only has that breed in its three generation pedigree. So by that rule, a Savannah must be F4 (as the Serval is a different species and not the breed). Hence that is the minimum generation for showing.... what is considered purebred Savannah.

Tell your wife that we have exhibited F1 onward in show halls...to exhibit (not put into competition) a cat requires show manager approval...but most are delighted to let the early generation Savannahs in, they know they are a huge crowd draw (hence the show club will benefit) and they do not cause any disturbance. Trouble, the world's tallest domestic cat, was an F2 Savannah and cat show clubs would try to bribe his owner to come to their shows, paying hotel expenses etc... does that sound like they are too scary to be in public?

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
I just hate all this misinformation... and I'm sick of trying to debunk all the myths. I'm sure you guys are having to do it more than most since you're the source of most information. And Brigitte, it was this lady that answered the phone from TICA that sent Heather (my wife) into a whirl wind.... and she's had multiple cats in her life for 7 or 8 years (with children)... married me when I had about 15 years kitty experience. I'm still spending most of my time trying to settle her anxiety...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I don't know who she talked to at TICA, but many in that office are merely office staff...so not cat people per se.

The irony here is painful. I would expect that TICA would train its office staff to be minimally knowledgeable about the breeds it represents to prevent the staff from perpetuating negative stereotypes about cats. Sheesh.