Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I guess I just needed the reassurance that there are breeders who will be responsive and excited about it with me :)

You'll certainly get that from our member breeders. Many breeders have outside jobs, kids, and many other things happening in their lives and that does serve as a reason for short replies and not being prompt in responses. It doesn't engender confidence in buyers though. We want to know that we matter more than just our money and that the breeder really cares about placing kittens in good homes.

Then there are the breeders who have outside jobs, kids, and many other things happening in their lives and they are prompt and detailed in responses, send pictures and give prospective buyers the information they need to feel confident that the breeder is going to be supportive throughout the life of the cat. That is the type of breeder I want to buy from. If you want that type of breeder, you're best bet is to buy from one of our members. There are other good ones out there, but ours are already vetted. And if you buy from Paige, oy, will you get response. She'll require a criminal background check, full psych evaluation and periodic inspections of your home. LOL.

Trish Allearz

I agree with you I think the breeder would be fine… she seems well respected in the savannah community but like you said the way she responded didn't make me feel comfortable.

Exactly! I would feel more comfortable buying from someone on here because there is so much information to find on them and it's obvious you all communicate a lot and thoroughly.:)

I completely understand where you are coming from… and the not being able to visit wasn't exactly what bothered me. It was more of the lack of communication… She showed no real interest in what I had to say and would just email back a 2 sentence response after a week. If she communicated with me and was responsive, the not visiting wouldn't have bothered me in the least. I guess I just needed the reassurance that there are breeders who will be responsive and excited about it with me :)

Also I want to say I completely understand not letting people visit… I kind of wish my bengals breeder didn't. Or at least not let people around them when they were unvaccinated. She is highly respected in the bengal community but it seemed people were visiting a lot. When I visited Bagheera he was only 3 weeks old and I was able to hold him. Which was awesome at the time…. But people left right before I was there so obviously people were coming and going. And I think Bagheera might have been exposed to something when he was young. Probably to an upper respiratory infection… His breathing ever since a kitten was always a little off I think and there is something off about half of his nose.. Maybe I am wrong.. but the vet at Purdue also believed he might have been exposed to something early in his life to cause it. So I totally get where you all are coming from about not letting people visit… I probably wouldn't either if I was a breeder.
Okay so the short responses would throw me off too. An occasional short reply is great, but to be honest, many of my buyers get a delayed response because I want to sit at my computer and give lengthy replies versus a quick cell phone reply. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
You'll certainly get that from our member breeders. Many breeders have outside jobs, kids, and many other things happening in their lives and that does serve as a reason for short replies and not being prompt in responses. It doesn't engender confidence in buyers though. We want to know that we matter more than just our money and that the breeder really cares about placing kittens in good homes.

Then there are the breeders who have outside jobs, kids, and many other things happening in their lives and they are prompt and detailed in responses, send pictures and give prospective buyers the information they need to feel confident that the breeder is going to be supportive throughout the life of the cat. That is the type of breeder I want to buy from. If you want that type of breeder, you're best bet is to buy from one of our members. There are other good ones out there, but ours are already vetted. And if you buy from Paige, oy, will you get response. She'll require a criminal background check, full psych evaluation and periodic inspections of your home. LOL.
Now Witchy...must you give away all my secrets

Trish Allearz

I do want to say though-- some buyers prefer breeders who don't give a whoot about their kittens or where they are going to. No, seriously-- there are some buyers out there that want to buy a kitten like a business transaction-- "Here's my money, now shoo away, breeder"-- those buyers quickly take a hike when they inquire about my babies because having the money in hand does not mean you'll get a baby from me. Having the right home is imperative.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I do want to say though-- some buyers prefer breeders who don't give a whoot about their kittens or where they are going to. No, seriously-- there are some buyers out there that want to buy a kitten like a business transaction-- "Here's my money, now shoo away, breeder"-- those buyers quickly take a hike when they inquire about my babies because having the money in hand does not mean you'll get a baby from me. Having the right home is imperative.

Yes, I feel the same way, Trish! It is all about the kitten and making sure he/she has the very best home...to be loved, cherished and spoiled is all I want for my babies...and right or wrong, I consider the kittens born in my home, my babies always...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
some buyers prefer breeders who don't give a whoot about their kittens or where they are going to. No, seriously-- there are some buyers out there that want to buy a kitten like a business transaction-- "Here's my money, now shoo away, breeder"-- those buyers quickly take a hike when they inquire about my babies because having the money in hand does not mean you'll get a baby from me. Having the right home is imperative.

It disturbs me to read some inquiries from prospective buyers, particularly on Facebook. One of the most annoying for me are people who want an SV because it represents a status symbol for them. You know, the person who is only interested in a BIG cat with BIG spots who looks like a wild cat that he can put a chain link collar on and drag around town thinking he looks cool.

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat

Haha! :roflmao: I love it! I would be the same way… If I could of I would have been that way with my shelter kittens that I fostered! But exactly.. I need to feel confident that the breeder is going to be there and will want to be there if ever need be.

Yes, I feel the same way, Trish! It is all about the kitten and making sure he/she has the very best home...to be loved, cherished and spoiled is all I want for my babies...and right or wrong, I consider the kittens born in my home, my babies always...

Awh I love that… It's definitely right. :in love: I believe when a breeder looks at them as always one of their babies.. They will be sure to put a kitten with a buyer that fits… Not just because it's the only kitten they have left. Because even if a kitten is available to me and I fall in love with it's look… If the kittens personality doesn't fit my lifestyle, which therefore the kitten wouldn't be happiest with me… Then I would want the breeder to tell me no and to wait for the right one. To me that shows dedication and love to their kittens and that they only wants what's best for them and therefore also me in the process.

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
It disturbs me to read some inquiries from prospective buyers, particularly on Facebook. One of the most annoying for me are people who want an SV because it represents a status symbol for them. You know, the person who is only interested in a BIG cat with BIG spots who looks like a wild cat that he can put a chain link collar on and drag around town thinking he looks cool.
UGH don't even get me started!!!! I can't even imagine the inquires you all get as breeders…. I wouldn't even be able to respond to them or I would probably go off. :uh oh: I take Bagheera to Petsmart sometimes and I like educating people about the Bengal breed and don't mind most questions… But then I get comments like "Ohhhhh I want a cat that looks like a leopard! That would look awesome and bada$$!" or comments like.. "Why don't you breed him? If I had one I would totally breed him!"

I am pretty sure I die a little inside with every comment like that I hear. I try to make people understand that its not your normal kitty. They aren't for everyone. They aren't little leopard cats that will decorate your couch… But there is only so much you can say to people like that.