Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Keeping Raw Cold?

Trish Allearz

Maybe you already answered this-- but does your vet say he needs to put on weight? I've found some families stress out over the cat's natural weight-- some Savannahs are just really lanky, tall kids-- just like people-- and you won't pack on the pounds regardless of what you do. As long as your vet says he's healthy and he's not starving, I personally wouldn't stress over it too much. You can actually make a cat very ill if they eat meat that's stood out for too long, but of course-- you already know that (which is why you're looking for a safe way to keep it cool.) I'd feed before I left for work and as soon as I arrived home personally and then right at bedtime. Leave kibble out during the day.

How long were you feeding him raw just twice a day?

Trish Allearz

I'm just thinking if you only did it for a short period of time, he may not have started compensating for the lack of food during the daytime. Most cats learn to regulate their eating-- if they don't get food during the day, they are going to increase their feeds naturally when food is available.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Sumo wrestlers eat one large meal a day to train their bodies to store more fat and calories. In other words changing their metabolism. So a lanky cat that doesn't want to eat much isn't likely to put on weight just because they have food on demand or available while your away.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Maybe you already answered this-- but does your vet say he needs to put on weight? I've found some families stress out over the cat's natural weight-- some Savannahs are just really lanky, tall kids-- just like people-- and you won't pack on the pounds regardless of what you do. As long as your vet says he's healthy and he's not starving, I personally wouldn't stress over it too much. You can actually make a cat very ill if they eat meat that's stood out for too long, but of course-- you already know that (which is why you're looking for a safe way to keep it cool.) I'd feed before I left for work and as soon as I arrived home personally and then right at bedtime. Leave kibble out during the day.

How long were you feeding him raw just twice a day?
It was only for about 2 weeks and he lost almost a pound. We do leave some kibble down but he won't touch it now. (Which is good because his GI system doesn't like kibble!) We haven't gone to the vet for an opinion. He is OK size wise now, but if he lost much more his ribs would be sticking out. His hip bones already stick out but I think that is just his build. He has been eating more in his morning and evening feeding a so we'll see how his weight does with 3 x's a day.

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
I used to worry about this and would put away after 30 min. Now i leave it out and Thor wont eat it if it is left out too long which is usually over a few hours. He can sense it, and they are definately different than humans. To store we keep in the fridge for one week and freeze the rest.