Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Legitimate Savannah Cat Breeders - How to Tell

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
Neo I guess is a 'frankencat'. However I felt comfortable because Nora at mokavecats is very transparent about this and shows what goes into them and the lineage. Before I brought him home I was able to go through pictures on the site and see his grandparents, parents and offspring. She also keeps the pictures and info up of sold cats and kittens. As far as I know shes the only one breeding mokave cats but I guess that couldnt stop someone else. At the end of the day regardless Neo and I are bonded. So frankencat and all I love him :)

* don't mean to thread jack or get off topic I just feel like we fit in here at savannahcatchat as you guys/gals can relate to us

John Popp

Site Supporter
Neo I guess is a 'frankencat'. However I felt comfortable because Nora at mokavecats is very transparent about this and shows what goes into them and the lineage. Before I brought him home I was able to go through pictures on the site and see his grandparents, parents and offspring. She also keeps the pictures and info up of sold cats and kittens. As far as I know shes the only one breeding mokave cats but I guess that couldnt stop someone else. At the end of the day regardless Neo and I are bonded. So frankencat and all I love him :)

* don't mean to thread jack or get off topic I just feel like we fit in here at savannahcatchat as you guys/gals can relate to us

Cmantis, I think that fits perfect! As mentioned before, I like the marbled, rosetted, long tailed cats a ton, was owned by an SV with lots of bengal heritage and believe some of the most beautiful cats out there are non-standards. There's even a lot of room in what the breed is with outcrosses and there are plenty of beautiful F3Cs and the like amongst the members here. First and foremost they're a cat, with a loving soul that commands respect from all of us.

I also think in the example cited it's perfect as well. There is a right way to use outcrosses in a breeding program and a wrong way. Being totally upfront and honest about what's being delivered to customers is the fabric of good business, and also what's right for the future of the breed. Leaving gaps in the registry is irresponsible and a red flag that the primary motivator is something other than a love of these beautiful cats.

Last edited:

cbain

Site Supporter
Last May we got a kitten from a newer breeder and I bought the question about the breeder here to chat and got the answers I needed and the kitten from people that know her.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I hope your questions were answered, irregardless you have a beautiful kitten to love & I assume that was your primary goal. No question is "stupid" except that which is not asked... barefoot

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I agree....some breeders are less than ethical and do not have the well-being of the kitten first and foremost. That being said, it looks like you have a very cute kitten that appears healthy.......that is the most important! Unless you planned on breeding the cat, health and personality top the list of importance and it sounds like you and Nala have already formed a pretty good bond.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Laura, i hope you are feeling better!
I also think you have asked some very reasonable questions.
When we bought our first SV boy, we asked what I thought at the time were a lot of questions.... And one of my first posts was about my non-standard f5 SBT melanistic SV. Which of course is a standard color :)
The only ways to learn are to read and ask questions. Looks like you are off to a good start on both :)

As John, Paige, Trish and Patti all said, the SV was created with a goal in mind, called the breed standard. You have a baby at home who doesn't quite match. So long as you are happy, and she is happy and healthy, that is all that matters in the end.
Then, all I really want to talk about is that she is super cute :)
I have an f3 with a locket. I have an F4 snow. I have an f5 with those green eyes john mentioned and a long tail. None of them belong in a breeding program for type, and only one would I say has a temperament and smarts that are such that I feel like he would have been a good stud- and I know nothing about these things! But all three of them are super sweet and make great pets. I hope your baby girl brings you as much joy as our boys bring us. :)

dice

Site Supporter
Personally, blame Bill Gates, a hometown boy, for my Savannah addiction. Windows F2.5 :mouse: desktop cats theme, came with a awesome exotic cat, and I had to have one have me. So did a search for exotic cats on the web, and fell in love with this breed. At the time, the only reason I could afford the cost of admission, had just receive the 8k tax kick back from being a first time home owner.

I now find myself in a similar situation. Just received an unexpected inheritance check from my parents estate, and the first thought that popped into my head was, holy FRAK, excuse the strong language, I can afford to adopt an F2!!!! wooo hooo

Am so glad I decided to find this website last year, and get to know some of you. Am currently in contact with several breeders, all members here, and all expecting litters this month. my F3C, 5 year old buddy boy Sampson, is so excited about getting a baby brother. Even Spontaneity is on board.

Every breeder from this site that I have contacted, whether it's just to say hi, nice looking kits or inquiring about upcoming litters, have shown me nothing but compassion and understanding about this breed of cat, that we all seem to want to surround ourselves with.

while not a fan of potato chips, do agree with the signature of, betcha can't have just one. heartheartheart all my furry kids.

Have already decided my son's name, it is Rufio.!!!! Not looking forward to the next 12 weeks or so, of waiting.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Glad to hear this dice! And look forward to you getting your boy and sharing him with us!

dice

Site Supporter
Thanks Paige, in fact have just received confirmation from Sue Armstrong, she has reserved the boy kitten of the litter from Painted Lady's first two kits for me, born February 21st ~1 am, right coast time. or 10 pm, 2-20, my coast time. The Painted one's first litter of 2, one boy, one girl, both huge healthy kittens. So, am happy to announce I am a proud papa.

To Patti, Donna and Lorre, thank you all so much for all your consideration and acceptance to your family's, all of you have been nothing but supportive in my quest for Rufio. Will send you all notice of taking me off your list, and putting me on potential standby.

Will start a Rufio thread once have gotten some sleep and found the appropriate forum location to start it in. Right now am in that Proud Papa, enthralled, and counting the weeks. My only advantage is that at my age, time moves much more quickly than some of the younger crowd, and the 12-14 weeks till young Rufio is ready for his jet plane ride, will be merely like waiting 9 weeks for the rest of you. lol.

The darker of the two kits is son Rufio.!!!!

KawOOdq.jpg
DxpMmhU.jpg

Special thanks to Sue for being able to hang in there through "winter blasts Kentucky 2015" and being the midwife and initial caretaker of my boy.

Yeah, in that euphoric crying at times, happy, glad-full dad stage. If I didn't know me better, would swear I was a first time Savannah daddy, But since Spot turned 5 this 20th, and Sam's 5th is just weeks away, know I ain't, but still feel like more excited than my anticipation of my first born Spontaneity.

Sue, great job well done, love ya girl and all your furry kids too. The daylight is getting longer, and spring is just around the corner.

Rufio, Rufio, RUFIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

yeah, have been watching hook to sleep by, all week. lmao