Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Let's see those Oceli

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Can some please explain what ocelli is? Sorry if its a dumb question but im clueless. im thinking something with the spotting or ears. Anyways any explaination would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks =)

DSCF6690.jpg DSCF3709.jpg DSCF5471.jpg DSCF5622.jpg

Not a dumb question at all Todd :) Ocelli are the lighter colored lines, slashes,
or spots in the middle of the back of a cat's ears. Some are more visible than others; the darker the cat's color, the more likely ocelli are visible. Sometimes ocelli are quite visible as a kitten and fade as the kitten grows. The higher generations will have the most striking ocelli markings, but I have seen some lower generations have some pretty remarkable ocelli! Plain old domestic cats can have ocelli too.

These pics illustrate ocelli in an F7A kitten, a blue spotted domestic cat, an F4C, and F7SBT.

I am not sure if these are Savannah oceli or just tabby cat markings. And may be they will fade as he gets older. But right now at 12 weeks they are looking pretty pronounced and I think they look quite cool. My kittens name is Moggie and he is from an oops litter. Mom is said to be f7, no idea what generations would be A or B, Dad is unknown.

Attachments

Based on the way the oceli markings usually fade a bit with every generation further away from an ancestor that carried this trait in a pronounced way, I am guessing the gene or genes for the oceli pattern are co-dominate?

Does that mean the genes for this can be carried as a recessive gene and the oceli markings can sometimes pop up in later generations more pronounced in the offspring than is visible on either parent?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't know that there has been any study done on oceli genes, not that I am aware of anyway, but in my experience pronounced oceli are the luck of the draw - one kitten may have them and his littermates not so much...