Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter quitter first day home.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Ok, here it is. I plan on having the litter quitter set up prior to bringing my first kitty home. Once we get her here, I will bring her straight away to the potty. Introduce her to where the litter is. This will start the training. When my little guy comes home a few weeks later, he will have a box in a separate room. Once we have bonded with him we will introduce him to our female, Malaika, the box will go away and we will show him to the litter quitter. Also, since he is younger and new to the house, we expect him to follow and learn from his older sister. Any other suggestions would be nice, but we are pretty confident with persistence, we will, in time be successful. We even made a two step up to the potty to make it easier for them and less of a challenge to get to the potty.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I might wonder if it is a good idea to start "straight away" to something so new and different when bringing home a kitten. Seems to me that the kitten is already dealing with a lot of changes just by leaving its breeder, and if the litterbox set up is too different the kitten might be tempted to not use it.

Just hope that neither of your Savannahs turns out to be a water lover, else having an open toilet is just going to be messy! Years ago we got two Savannahs almost toilet-trained when we brought home a third that thought an open toilet bowl was a kitty wading pool... now we have toilet lids down.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Understand, I have had lots of experience with smart cats (just not Savannah's) So I'm hoping the same techniques will work with the Savannah'. After all, they are supposed to be smarter than the average cat.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Understand, I have had lots of experience with smart cats (just not Savannah's) So I'm hoping the same techniques will work with the Savannah'. After all, they are supposed to be smarter than the average cat.

I agree with brigitte, Kim...you may want to wait a bit for the kitten's sake...it is really not about smart cats...more about a kitten dealing with leaving his/her home and all they know...they need to get used to their surroundings first and settle in...JM 2 cents

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
I see where your co mi g from Bridge. Thing is, the litter quitter is already full of litter, something they should already be accustomed to, they sniff, scratch and wanna go potty. They're hooked. At least that's the way it worked for every kitten Ive ever had, call me lucky:) I just figured it was their nature and that's why it always worked. Anyway, wish me luck with my kiddies:)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's the position/location of the litter though that could possibly make it less accessible. Even if you have steps it is still strange to a new kitten and they could well decide that a corner of the room was easier.

I wish you all the luck in the world...

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Copy that:) We r going to be home with her for a week before we go back to work, so we have the time to watch and navigate.

Kimmyqitty

Site Supporter
Also, wanted to straight away intro them to the litter quitter instead of a box in their new home, one less step, from box, and another box, to the litter quitter. Just box from breeder to litter quitter. Same concept for them, just different shape and place. I just thought at their age, this is the best time for toilet training instead of later when they r older and used to the box.