Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Looking for a tent, teepee or yurt for Rafiki

tdbradin

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah, someone got something started! I'm not going to say who... but now I'm watching a couple of the display mini tents on ebay. I don't think they would be large enough for what you are looking for, but they are definitely large enough to be a sleeping hideaway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rafiki

Site Supporter
ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddcfsew3qaqaqaqaqaqaqa7444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

Apparently one of my cats wanted to contribute to the conversation on this. Too bad they do not know how to type or spell.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think any reasonably sized crate will not be reminiscent of her carrier and should work just fine.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I bought 2 of these at Walmart, for about $30 each. This one is 36" long by 24" wide. Plenty big for just about any cat. The other one will fit a large dog. They play in them all the time. There is a zipper closure on one end.
IMG_4847.jpg

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki's soft crate arrived last Wednesday. We let both cats assist with getting it out of the box and the 2 second assembly and moved the crate into the area where we eat. Initially she was more interested in hanging out on top of the crate. I started by giving her one treat on the floor in the kitchen and the rest in the crate while Jammu received all his treats in the kitchen. I had to remove the lambswool bottom as that would not go well with raw meat! Yesterday was the first time feeding her in the crate. She did well yesterday and was significantly less twitchy. This morning was more of a battle again. She is more interested in what is going on outside than her food. Given a choice, she would have 4 small meals a day rather than 2. This is something that the crate will not fix!

crate 1.JPG crate2.JPG

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well it sounds like you are making progress with her even if she does need more training and time to start using the crate consistently and wanting to eat in there... I'm sure it will come with time.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Soon I will be away for a week so I am really hoping that she has embraced the crate-concept by then. That would make it so much easier for the hubby to deal with getting her fed.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
We have been trying to use the crate for feeding as much as possible. Sometimes Rafiki bolts upstairs right as the food is ready and we have fed her in the shower, on top of the armoire or in the den. One way or another, she prefers to graze and usually finishes her food in 2-3 sessions. I can probably count on my fingers how many times she has cleaned the plate in one sitting since getting sick last May. Tonight she was waiting in the kitchen for dinner and I served her in the crate. Imagine my surprise when I found a licked clean plate in there! Woohoo! Yes, it is only one meal but still makes me hopeful that we will overcome the skittishness and twitchiness around feeding time.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
This morning she once again ran off after eating a bit more than half. She finished the rest about 45 minutes later. But tonight....she ate everything in one sitting! I do believe having a "safe" place for her is helping a lot but ultimately she prefers to eat multiple small meals. Telling her that servals in the wild gorge themselves had no affect.