Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Lost - 7 month old ran outside in the night

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
So glad you found him quickly! I agree with Brigitte...I wouldn't wait for the landlord, but would be fixing the door myself immediately!

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
You were very lucky to get him back so soon. I lost my chausie the same way. All of mine got out at the same time sometime in the night. The chausie was the only one not on my back deck in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigitodwitz

Savannah Super Cat
While we were sleeping, our front door was blown wide open by the Santa Ana winds ( it wasn't latched all the way ). Our daughter woke us up at 4am to say she couldn't find our cat Jupiter, a 7 month old savannah male. He's probably only been gone 2 hours, but I have no idea where he would have gone. We walked the entire neighborhood calling his name, but he's disappeared into the night. Any tips? We live in the hillside in a densely populated area of Woodland Hills/West Hills California.

Any suggestions on finding him short of the standard "notify the vets and pet stores" would be greatly appreciated.
Glad you found Jupiter! He is gorgeous by the way. I love that picture.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Please also make sure he is microchipped...but most important - the door needs to be fixed ASAP!

So glad he is home!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Sooo glad to hear that Juniper got home safely! Please get a latch on that door asap! Alternatively you can add a security door to help secure the 'escape route'

Thanks for the tips! ( and compliments :) We love our boy, he's the best cat we've owned - a perfect personality fit for us. We plan to have at least one more savannah after he grows up a bit more. He's just so active, even with us working from home and playing with him all day, he still tends to be up all night too. He needs a friend ;)

We've been dead-bolting after anyone uses the door until they can fix it. The knob isn't a standard knob, its a weird setup where the onlly "knob" is a keyed lock thats supposed to flip back when you shut the door, but its not working properly anymore.

I plan to microchip him unless I find out more about the GPS trackers. We had our Bengal microchipped and she never turned up despite the chip. I feel like they give you a false sense of security. If anyone has info on the GPS units and who makes them so I can find out if my vet can put one on, that would be great. He's not really a door darter, thankfully, so we really just need it for the occasional incident. I plan to do some research this week so if anyone is interested I can post a thread on it in case there isn't anything yet.

Here's a few more pics of our "little" boy :)

Attachments

Kristin

Animal Communicator
The microchip only works if someone picks up the pet and brings it to a place that scans microchips.
I have also seen instances where the pet gets readopted out without even bothering to find the original home. It has made me extra paranoid about Zeddie, which is why she wears a collar...it isn't much help though as she knows how to take it off

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks for the tips! ( and compliments :) We love our boy, he's the best cat we've owned - a perfect personality fit for us. We plan to have at least one more savannah after he grows up a bit more. He's just so active, even with us working from home and playing with him all day, he still tends to be up all night too. He needs a friend ;)

We've been dead-bolting after anyone uses the door until they can fix it. The knob isn't a standard knob, its a weird setup where the onlly "knob" is a keyed lock thats supposed to flip back when you shut the door, but its not working properly anymore.

I plan to microchip him unless I find out more about the GPS trackers. We had our Bengal microchipped and she never turned up despite the chip. I feel like they give you a false sense of security. If anyone has info on the GPS units and who makes them so I can find out if my vet can put one on, that would be great. He's not really a door darter, thankfully, so we really just need it for the occasional incident. I plan to do some research this week so if anyone is interested I can post a thread on it in case there isn't anything yet.

Here's a few more pics of our "little" boy :)
Beautiful kitten! Do a search on the forum for GPS...we have a few threads on it...would be happy to hear about your research as well!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I personally don't think it is an either/or thing with microchips and GPS...both are great tools but both are not perfect. The microchip cannot be lost from a collar or harness... hence it is always with the cat. It only will help of course if the cat is found by someone. The GPS is great but with a cat climbing and squeezing through things on their "outdoor adventure" there is potential for it to be removed... So for me, I would want both. I microchip every cat/kitten that comes to my home and every kitten born here. It's a relatively inexpensive way to make sure their owner is identifiable.

I don't see a microchip as giving a false sense of security unless you don't understand how they work. They are an identification method only...not a tracking device which so many think it might be.