Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Marketing Terms

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
I think the HP label is hard to quantify. Maybe it is a term for anything that is 10 or more % over the average for that generation instead?

I've had to use the "high percentage" label with one line of my program, and I didn't do it for marketing purposes but because the "F3" I had was theoretically 46% Serval, and in looks and behavior identical to an F1.

What I felt was important when using the label "high percentage" was to add the actual theoretical % in that description ... so not just HP F3 but HP (46%) F3 to help people realize what was meant by the term.

I don't think that calling an SBT F5 "high percentage" is appropriate even if their calculated % is 8.7% which is more than F5A generation (3.125%).
Totally agree. Seems like it would make more sense to add something like 10% (or whatever) to each generation to clarify HP. Else, different factors could be used, like F1 (1.25x), F2 (1.5x), F3 (3x), to be HP. Applying say a 1.25x or 1.5x factor to all generations I don't think would make sense, especially on the higher gen's like F5, F6. Not that any of this is super important, but kind of fun to toss around;).

Yeh, my first breeder had an F3 46% SV that I got to see, and wow, I thought it was an F1!!! Not that I'm good at these things, I'm no SV breeder, but it sure fooled me. In my mind, that was for sure a HP F3. dj

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I like "well socialized" to "human bonded". It just sounds nicer. How is that for science? My warmblood mare was imprinted as a foal and all that did was make her obnoxious. 5 years later I still have to remind her to respect my space. Perhaps this has made me jaded to those types of terms!

I don't know what the line for hp is, but I do find an approximation of percentage interesting. The math says Nyah is a bit more than 28%, does it make her more cool than a 25% F2? Doubt it, but a fun fact. Does the personality of a 46% f3 resemble that of an f1? That would be where I think it may have more bearing.

I know pricing is touchy, but for someone like me who is very much looking for the next kitten, it is nice to know if my budget is even in the ball park. I don't want to waste anyone's time, and understanding the pricing upfront means I would only contact those I could actually purchase to discuss all the other important personality questions. On the other hand, I imagine getting disrespectful emails questioning why these kittens are so expensive would be trying as a breeder.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed, Becki, which is why when I DO have kittens available I like to post their prices with their info... I hate not knowing if I can afford something either.

Most definitely my 46% F3 had the personality of an F1, I've had three F1s here since...they are indistinguishable. The generation didn't mean too much compared to the % imo.

D

Dantes

Hey Deb, I can help you out with this one. Without the presence of vermouth it's just vodka or gin. As soon as even a slight mist of vermouth hits the glass it's a Martini. ;)
I'd like to modify your analogy, 'cause we're talking living beings here. And I love a good dirty martini (that's olive juice, not vermouth).

My heritage is very mixed. But an interesting part is that I am part Jewish. Not Jewish enough for Jews, but not un-Jewish enough for Christians (technically, if they accepted me, I'd be Lutheran). Not good enough for the Chosen Ones but not good enough for the congregation either lol

So what does that make me? A mutt. Kinda like my Dante since a ragdoll is nothing more than a bunch of inter-mixed breeds (by a crazy nutso lady, no less lol). And technically my Duma too, since he is not a DSH but he's also not a Serval. That's why they call him a Savannah (regardless of %). Ragdoll is the given name for the mutt bred out of the cats that made one, and Savannah is the given name for the mutt bred out of a Serval x something not serval. Wish I were as lucky as these cats :-/

JMO and I'm not a breeder, but I think even if he were 99% serval he'd still be of mixed background and therefore Savannah...

BTW the most important thing I've learned about buying a cat (aside from researching the breeder) is that you really gotta know who the cat's parents are. Without knowing the cat's parents (and their personalities), you know nothing.

When I post kittens for sale, I try my best to stick with actual descriptive terms than to use "fluffy" marketing terms. Most of my ad content is describing each kitten's features (long legs, deep-set eyes, warm toned, etc). So, if a kitten has big inky spots, I'll say so. Usually my "pitch" involves pointing out a kitten's best feature in the most straightforward manner possible. So my ad title might be something along the lines of "F5SBT Golden male, huge ears". In the body of the ad I'll include the price (because I hate getting those "how much" emails).

Since I breed F4-F7 savannahs, I have never been concerned with calculating serval percentage. To me, serval percentage is only important in F1-F2, or in later generation males with regards to fertility. Even then I think there is more to look at than just theoretical percentage. i'd want to know if any siblings from the same or similar pairings have proven fertile, and if there is fertility in the line in earlier generation males (f4 for example). I have seen kittens that are calculated to have a higher than normal theoretical percentage that i would never want to see in a breeding program, so percentage is irrelavant to me in that regard. much more important is how close the cat meets the breed standard, and what is the quality of that cats features that i am focused on (ears, legs, eyes, etc). Even if I were shopping for a pet, percentage would mean very little to me, as I'd be looking for a cat that met the criteria of features and personality that I wanted.

"Hand-raised" is a very ambiguous term, I agree. It can encompass kittens that are totally raised by a human with no help from Mom, but I would call that "Bottle-raised". Or it could mean that the kittens get handled once a day for a few minutes to check weight and overall health. Again, for me I try to describe that I do careful socialization exercises for all kittens, that start with early neurological stimulation at day one, to real life practical environment stimulation at 6weeks+ (roaming the house), to sounds, smell, touch stimulation throughout their time here. I want them as ready for life as they can possibly be. However, that usually takes up a lot of text to explain, so in an ad, I will likely say "raised under-foot in our home, with special attention to socialization and early neurological stimulation exercises." Then i'll go into more detail when asked.

Really, I don't think there is any way to standardize marketing terms. People will continue to use ambiguous terms with lots of fluffy and flashes phrases, the same as any other "product line". I try my to stick with honest descriptions, and I think that I tend to get less impulse buyers that way. But, the burden of investigation does fall on the buyers shoulders. If they don't ask questions to sort through all the glitz from sellers that use flashy terms, they aren't really going to know what they are purchasing. Not to say that this excuses sellers that try to make their cats seem more valuable than they actually are, but the buyer needs to be aware that they are out there.

Anatole

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
I want giant ears, puffy nose and inky spots :p and horizontal pattern, never ending legs !!!!!:lol:
I think it's ok to describe the kitten, i prefer to know a bit about the character also, if the pictures are good, I see if the ears are big and well positionned or not, inky or not, tears or not. I am not super good with this, I like to show pictures. Some are very good with nice funny text for adds.