Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Meet Franco

Hippy

Site Supporter
Congratulations couldn't of be a better B-day

Well unless there was more savannahs joining Vito :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi Guys
Just a little update on Franco, all is going well in quarantine, coming up two weeks now. He had his neutering operation on Monday and all went really well, he's bounced back from that with no problems.
Being really affectionate and is enjoying the freedom of the rest of the house when the other guys are sleeping. He seems a lot more chilled out from when he first arrived, got feliway diffusers around the house and been using Valerian spot ons Just for good measure. He's also eating like a little horse which is good as he really needs to put a little weight on. Going to give it another week or two before we start the introductions with Vito (who is desperate to know who's living in the attic room) :) Everything looking positive so far. Tbc.........

Attachments

Vito

Site Supporter
So how is neutered Franco settling in? Any progress? I hope the hormones are starting to mellow!
Hi there
Thank you for asking, I'm afraid things are a bit tense to be honest, with people Franco is just the most loving and adorable boy, definitely appearing more chilled, we are 4weeks after neutering now and thought things were looking good, lots of introductions through the glass door etc.. So as both cats looked really chilled and accepting of each other we opened the door, huge mistake, Franco flew for Vito, huge scary fight errupted, Franco just went berserk. We quickly separated them and my husband got a huge cut under his eye, what a mess. Both cats were immediately calm after separating them, thankfully Vito hasn't been phased, but I was a quivering wreck and I'm feeling really bad and very guilty about opening the door. So needless to say that Franco is still having to be kept in his own quarters, and only let in around the rest of the house when other cats are elsewhere. I feel so guilty, I love both boys so much but I just don't know if Franco will ever settle, he has only been here for 5 weeks, spoke to vet today, he thinks we should give it another month with the possibility of medication to calm Franco down if there is no improvement. I really don't want to go down that route, but in such a quandary it's heartbreaking as we've literally done everything possible up to now to help him adjust. He certainly has issues with other cats.
Any advice from anyone here would be so gratefully appreciated, and thanks again for asking about them.

Moggiesnewmom

Savannah Super Cat
Wow... that sounds really distressing and sad as I know you just want the best for both of them! I only have limited personal experience, but I do know my neighbours cat was neutered when he was a very young kitten, and he still sprays, roams, and tries to pick fights... and I have also read that some stud cats that spray and are not kept in the human part of the house, are sometimes given a neutered male cat as a buddy, and as long as the companion is neutered, some intact male cat are happy to have a companion... which to me suggests that in some cats, personality may be as much a factor as hormones. But someone else here will be more knowledgeable- I am sure.

Cats relationships seem to be as complicated, unpredictable and variable as humans... HB and WC are also going through “something” I hope improves... Reading Witchy’s sad experience with cats that had a slowly worsening relationship was a bit scary....

Vito

Site Supporter
Wow... that sounds really distressing and sad as I know you just want the best for both of them! I only have limited personal experience, but I do know my neighbours cat was neutered when he was a very young kitten, and he still sprays, roams, and tries to pick fights... and I have also read that some stud cats that spray and are not kept in the human part of the house, are sometimes given a neutered male cat as a buddy, and as long as the companion is neutered, some intact male cat are happy to have a companion... which to me suggests that in some cats, personality may be as much a factor as hormones. But someone else here will be more knowledgeable- I am sure.

Cats relationships seem to be as complicated, unpredictable and variable as humans... HB and WC are also going through “something” I hope improves... Reading Witchy’s sad experience with cats that had a slowly worsening relationship was a bit scary....
Yes it's really difficult to figure out what is going on in their heads, both are neutered, Vito is ultra affectionate and playful, Franco is not far off the same but seems to really have issues with other cats.
Been doing everything by the book as they say, pheromone diffuser in every room, swapping bedding over daily, same with toys to transfer scents. Feeding both cats same time either side of door, they have no issues with that. Alternating each one in the room in the carrier box.
Tried bringing Franco into main area on a harness, he will just sit/lie there banging his tail around.
He is only 15 months and was only a stud cat for 6 months of that apparently, he doesn't spray, no litter box issues, infact he really is the model Savannah , I know there will still be residual hormones there and that is why we are persevering just now, I suppose time will tell if things are going to work out for the better. Really hope they do as we're so attached to Franco already but obviously his welfare is paramount. Poor Vito just wants a buddy and doesn't seem to understand Francos manner at all.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
It can take longer than a month for male hormones to disappear after a neuter which may be a factor with Franco. If I remember correctly, a breeder once mentioned it can take up to 3 months or more. Don't get discouraged just yet. Keep doing what you're doing. Another thing to try is putting Franco in a crate and bringing him into a room with Vito for a short period of time each day. See whether they sniff each other through the crate or whether Franco goes bonkers. If Franco goes bonkers, try putting Vito in the crate and see if that makes a difference.

Vito

Site Supporter
It can take longer than a month for male hormones to disappear after a neuter which may be a factor with Franco. If I remember correctly, a breeder once mentioned it can take up to 3 months or more. Don't get discouraged just yet. Keep doing what you're doing. Another thing to try is putting Franco in a crate and bringing him into a room with Vito for a short period of time each day. See whether they sniff each other through the crate or whether Franco goes bonkers. If Franco goes bonkers, try putting Vito in the crate and see if that makes a difference.
Hi witchy, thanks so much for your advice, will definitely take that on board, I do see a difference in the way Franco is behaving now, he's no longer pacing back and forth and is loving playtime with the fishing rods and toys, it's almost as though he's regressing to a kitten again, he just goes bonkers when he claps eyes on Vito. We're sharing the time in the main livingroom/kitchen etc between the two of them as don't want Franco being excluded from equal attention. We're not really on a timeline and to be honest, if it took 6months we are happy to go along with it, really it takes as long as it takes, as long as we achieve peace between them that's the goal. Will try again with crate, did try it last week but Vito just climbed on top and was taunting him, so I'll try putting Vito in crate and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice, I shall definitely keep you posted on how things are going. Here's couple pics of Franco taken this morning. IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_20201105_181845.jpg

Vito

Site Supporter
Progress update on Franco. Well, we've made slight progress with Franco over past couple of days, constructed a large dog cage in the main area of the house, and filled with toys etc as Franco is very toy orientated, periodically throughout the day he spends time in there and we let Vito wander around, there's been no hissing or lunging, though Vito seems rather cautious in passing by, Franco will sit with occasional tail whipping and they watch each other very carefully, it's like a Mexican stand off, lol.
They are happy eating at same time also. Keeping these sessions short and will try gradually increasing them. Next step is to try Vito in the cage, I know it's only baby steps but here's hoping things will keep getting better from here on. Will continue to update. IMG_20201122_133814.jpg IMG_0837.JPG IMG_20201126_185903.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: