Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Melanistic (solid black) Savannah kitten

John Popp

Site Supporter

I've seen that look before and someone will have their hands full with that one.

As for photographing the subtleties in shading, you need a large light source and low contrast. With a DSLR and separate on camera flash it's best to bounce the light off the ceiling to soften shadows without direct light. There are also plenty of products out there to aid with this and just not the type of results you can easily obtain with a point and shoot or your phone.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Black Savannahs are cool...I wonder if F1 savannah's come in black, I know there are black servals.:)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Diane, we don't know if the same color genes are involved in black Servals as in black Savannahs. As far as I know, there are no black Servals in captivity (although seen in some numbers in the mountains of Kenya) and so none in breeding programs to be able to study the genetics.

Right now, the black Savannahs depend on domestic cat genetics...but represent the black Serval just fine that way :)

We've not seen a black F1 to date... doesn't mean it can't happen of course! It is a recessive gene in domestic cats so to happen in an F1 it would likely require the Serval to be carrying for the same gene (the non-agouti gene).

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've seen that look before and someone will have their hands full with that one.

As for photographing the subtleties in shading, you need a large light source and low contrast. With a DSLR and separate on camera flash it's best to bounce the light off the ceiling to soften shadows without direct light. There are also plenty of products out there to aid with this and just not the type of results you can easily obtain with a point and shoot or your phone.

I'm sure that helps some with their efforts....fortunately I have a husband that has cameras and lighting setups and takes care of such things for me ;-)

One day I will find time to graduate myself from point-and-shoots!

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Diane, we don't know if the same color genes are involved in black Servals as in black Savannahs. As far as I know, there are no black Servals in captivity (although seen in some numbers in the mountains of Kenya) and so none in breeding programs to be able to study the genetics.

Right now, the black Savannahs depend on domestic cat genetics...but represent the black Serval just fine that way :)

We've not seen a black F1 to date... doesn't mean it can't happen of course! It is a recessive gene in domestic cats so to happen in an F1 it would likely require the Serval to be carrying for the same gene (the non-agouti gene).
Thanks for responding to my post Brigitte, I was just wondering because there is lower generations that are black. When I ever get my money saved up for a F1, I would be happy with a golden and black spotted serval looking savannah!:big grin:

Beautiful pictures and yes looks like he has personality...lol.

I've been trying to learn all I can about Savannahs. I have adopted an F2 Bengal but she's so tiny. she's a lot smaller than the sbt RosePetal I got 9 years ago. And way smaller than the MC I've been living with..

I've been looking for a male as a playmate as Swipper wants to play rough. I always have scratches! Silver, light tan, smoke or black. I love the marbles though they're not standard pattern.