Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My Savannah is peeing on the couch..ugh

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I do want to try changing my litter to pine
There's less risk in a cat refusing to use a litter box if the litter is unscented. Texture is important too. Some cats prefer litters that are granulated such as World's Best over pellets, if that's the type of pine you're considering, because pellets may hurt their feet.

John Popp

Site Supporter
and yes he is neutered, and he was neutered like 6-7 months I really tried to wait as long as possible for him to grow he has never marked his territory but ever since he got neutered I feel like this is when it started. the only spot he ever marked was his first bed I bought him and right after he soaked the hell out of it with pee I through it out right away.

If a cat begins to have some stirrings, it can quickly become a learned behavior. Our noses aren't a good judge of what a cat smells, so clean and clean again with an enzyme cleaner/anti icky poo. There are other products out there, but nothing works as well as anti icky poo.

I do only have the one litter box should I get another one? I know the rule is 2 for the one cat in a household. I just get the litter from Costco, I do want to try changing my litter to pine, but he does pee and poo in the litter box.

I always feel best having two available even for a single cat. One for wizzing, one for dropping deuces. As Witchy stated, pine is a big ask for a cat that has inappropriate elimination issues. Dr Elsey's Cat Attract is our go to, unscented and when we were having issues with one of our DSH boys, we had him quarantined with 4 or 5 litters. What we came to learn was he wouldn't soil a standard size box more than once and even large boxes, such as big sterilite containers, he wouldn't pee and poop in the same box. Final resolve for our big boy Kebu, was to have a remote box for pooping and 5 other boxes for 3 cats and 2x a day cleaning.

Oh, and when your boy does use a litter box, can you describe his behavior?

Snakebike

Savannah Super Cat
I have heard of many people who had great success with Dr. Elseys cat attract litter. I would buy a completely new litter box and fill it with that along with the other litter boxes you use. Also, when the couch is completely cleaned, I would put a bowl on the couch and feed him a few times on the couch. Most cats will not eat and go to the bathroom in the same area.

Mmooe

Savannah Kitten
Thank you guys, I’m gonna do a 4 weeks test and I am gonna get another litter box and use icky poo. I definitely will let you guys know the results. Thanks

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I am gonna get another litter box and use icky poo
The Icky Poo site sells a carpet injector that you may need to use on your couch cushions if you can't actually remove them for a complete soak in the icky poo solution. Topical cleaning that doesn't reach deep down will still leave an enticing urine odor for the cats.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Witchy is right, you have to get those inserts. I kept having issues with the peeing on the couch until I finally took the inserts out and completely sterilized them with the enzyme cleaner and the cover as well. As soon as the cover came off, the smell of urine was very apparent. It takes a bunch of cleaning to fix the issue.

I also used the cat attract litter at the same time and it seemed to work well. There was an accident here or there and then it just tapered off. Inserts have been replaced now, but I wanted to wait until all of the accidents were over.

Lots of litter boxes, lots of cleaning, lots of patience...

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
If a cat begins to have some stirrings, it can quickly become a learned behavior. Our noses aren't a good judge of what a cat smells, so clean and clean again with an enzyme cleaner/anti icky poo. There are other products out there, but nothing works as well as anti icky poo.

I always feel best having two available even for a single cat. One for wizzing, one for dropping deuces. As Witchy stated, pine is a big ask for a cat that has inappropriate elimination issues. Dr Elsey's Cat Attract is our go to, unscented and when we were having issues with one of our DSH boys, we had him quarantined with 4 or 5 litters. What we came to learn was he wouldn't soil a standard size box more than once and even large boxes, such as big sterilite containers, he wouldn't pee and poop in the same box. Final resolve for our big boy Kebu, was to have a remote box for pooping and 5 other boxes for 3 cats and 2x a day cleaning.

Oh, and when your boy does use a litter box, can you describe his behavior?
Dropping deuces?