Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Neurology 911

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Hi All,
So Zahra had a sudden dizzy spell today. She had "dancing eyes" and disorientation and started turning in circles one way. I took her to the kitty ER and her blood work showed elevations that concerned the doctor and made him throw around terms like cancer and FIP in addition to vestubar syndrome. I have attached her labs here and would appreciate feedback from anyone with some kitty lab experience. She has no other symptoms except that she was whiney for the past two days and dizzy for the first time today. She had intermittant dizzy spells that resolved and returned. I'm hoping to avoid the $3000 MRI/ Neurologist charges:(

Thanks!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The intermittent dizzy spells were over the last two days? Be good to see the labs, was there any evidence of infection in the bloodwork?

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Yep thats what the vet said sorry my pics did not upload before. Here they are. The dizziness was just today but she was whiny and clingy suddenly yesterday

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 11.19.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 11.19.04 PM.png
    967.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 11.19.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 11.19.58 PM.png
    250.3 KB · Views: 16

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There were no chemistries? A CBC isn't going to give us any clue as to why she is dizzy. I'm assuming the vet checked her ears thoroughly? Most of the symptoms you described can be caused by an ear infection, although not sure about the nystagmus.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Did they take her temperature and was it in normal range?

If the vet is thinking FIP definitely blood chem panel is going to be helpful. You said everything was normal before then, so she's been eating and active and everything, so that doesn't so much fit dry FIP (which I assume is where the vet was going with the neuro symptoms)... cancer might explain it but seems a long shot... I'd be more inclined to think ear infection (vestibular disorder is often caused by that) ...

http://web-dvm.net/vestibularsyndrome.html seemed the best page I found about this. It does mention that cancer is the least likely cause and that MRI to look for that would be after all other options are exhausted. I would tend to wish to pursue the possibility of an ear infection first...

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
Did they take her temperature and was it in normal range?

If the vet is thinking FIP definitely blood chem panel is going to be helpful. You said everything was normal before then, so she's been eating and active and everything, so that doesn't so much fit dry FIP (which I assume is where the vet was going with the neuro symptoms)... cancer might explain it but seems a long shot... I'd be more inclined to think ear infection (vestibular disorder is often caused by that) ...

http://web-dvm.net/vestibularsyndrome.html seemed the best page I found about this. It does mention that cancer is the least likely cause and that MRI to look for that would be after all other options are exhausted. I would tend to wish to pursue the possibility of an ear infection first...

The irony of the MRI cost is ZahrasHuman works with MRI's all day at her PhD program at Northwestern. I fully agree that the MRI diagnosis should be saved until other possibilities have been eliminated. Zahra is such a wonderful, loving, kitten. I am praying this is just an ear infection.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
So sorry to hear that Zahra isn't feeling well. Am hoping and praying that she just has an ear infection

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Saw something like this once before, but it was an elderly cat. Delirium secondary to an infection. Course of antibiotics and the cat was back to normal. Labs give evidence of potential infection.

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks all. Zahra seems fine this morning, eating and playful no dizzy spells yet. She had dizzy spells late into last night. I'm going to call her regular vet and see what they suggest.