Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Neurology 911

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Good tips on pilling there! You can also blow up their nose a bit and that makes them swallow too! Different techniques work with different situations. I think we tried all of them when we had Bobo with his heart meds... I'm glad you have a way that works well for you!

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
Zahra likes to be scruffed so that helps, she is usually purring when I do this.

It's actually kind of funny the way she will purr when you scruff her. Occasionally, she will do something particularly naughty (e.g. over exuberant play biting) and we will scruff her and quickly refocus her attention, but she just goes all gaga and starts purring so it almost feels like you're rewarding her. If you do try to scruff her for too long (say, more than 5 seconds) she'll usually start to resist a bit. Of course, Zahra is so affectionate anyways that she'll get herself purring at full throttle sometimes just sitting next to you. I can't overemphasize what a wonderful cat she is (this coming from someone who is a large dog [bullmatiff] fancier that does not like cats en general) and how happy we are that she seems to be perking up.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
She sounds great :)

Yes, scruffing can remind them of mama as that is how the mama cat picks up their babies so they usually go limp and sometimes do purr... it's cute! Its useful throughout their lives, occasionally some don't react at all, and intact male cats can react badly to it (iI guess that makes sense as they wish to be the one scruffing!)...but having a cat relax when you scruff them can be really useful when they are overly exuberant like you describe!

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
So interesting and I think positive developments. When I have had inner ear infections in the past the pain always turned into the inner ear itchies after I got antibiotics and things started to heal. I know cats are different from us but Zahra is very clearly itching. She shakes her head and scratches at the base of her ears quite frequently. I noticed when I got home today. No more dizziness just a bit of frustrated scratching. I know how she feels, nothing is worse than that inner ear itch you just can't scratch. I'm pretty positive it was just an infection

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Its true scruff her and rest her two front paws on a chair back letting the back legs hang. Take the pill and work your finger into the side of the kitty's mouth. They will usually open for you and you put the pill as far back as you can get it with your free hand The angle they are in usually makes them swallow automatically, but you can also stroke her chin to make sure she swallows. Its incredibly easy actually. Here is the link to six methods you can try, this method is number 6 http://www.wikihow.com/Give-a-Cat-a-Pill
Zahra likes to be scruffed so that helps, she is usually purring when I do this. She was chipper today until daddy left then she was angry....she looooooves sacred :)

Wow. Thanks for the info. I will definitely try that next time as Rafiki is a freaking little nightmare when it comes to pilling. I have also found that it is impossible to purrito (wrap kitty up in a blanket like a burrito) a SV. Squirmey little things!

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Wow. Thanks for the info. I will definitely try that next time as Rafiki is a freaking little nightmare when it comes to pilling. I have also found that it is impossible to purrito (wrap kitty up in a blanket like a burrito) a SV. Squirmey little things!

Yeah the burrito towel method never works on Zahra for anything :)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I am glad to hear she is responding well! Fingers crossed this is going to be a memory soon!

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Awww, she thinks you are mommy!!! :in love:

I will always be her mommy :) So she seems to be doing well. Appetite is strong (I stopped giving her the anti-inflammatory because it warned to discontinue use if her eating pattern changed which it did but now she is back to normal). She seems to get a little more energy everyday. No new symptoms or dizzy spells. Just holding my breath until next week. Here are some pics of her taking in the extra mom cuddle time she got this week :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 6.48.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 6.48.43 PM.png
    800.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 6.48.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 6.48.17 PM.png
    666.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 6.47.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 6.47.54 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 17