Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New 1st time SV owner - have some questions

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
If they can't produce papers for the F7A then it's nothing more than another beautiful cat. I wouldn't pay more than adoption fee for a non-papered savannah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
Most breeders always have a standard adoption fee for special cases such as special needs animals. It most cases unfortunately people tend not to take care of something there not invested in. So breeders will reduce the price of an animal but never just give them away to insure the new owner is vested. Can I ask what state you live in? Because if you are willing to pay that price for a F7A I am sure the people in this forum can help you find a breeder that claims to be a breeder, has a proven track record, and can give you a papered savannah with a health guarantee. I would just hate to see some pay that kind of price for something with nothing to justify it for. But if I had to give you a number $200.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Dan I think it is very nice of you to give the kittens a home. There are a few red flags we've pointed out most notably the lack of vaccination prior to bringing them home. Another is that you may get kittens with more of a himmy personality and look. All the risk is yours in this transaction. I think the owners should be giving the litter away free to good homes.

Alan, I think your quote "If they can't produce papers for the F7A then it's nothing more than another beautiful cat" is pritty dumb. The value of the kittens is not in a piece of paper but rather what type of cat they are. Plus the papers are worthless anyway since everyone here is suggesting to neuter the cats, so what good is the paper. In the end they are f7A cats, so their value is based on that regardless of a stupid piece of paper.

WitchyWom, if the owners know their litter are f7A and that breeders sell them for 1k$, why would they give them away. I understand for the 1k$ from a breeder that you get papers and shots, but that does not mean they have no value without the papers and shots. Again, they are what they are.

In the end I got them for $200 each. For f7A SV, I think that is a good price. For those that think they are worth nothing, please let me know who is giving away some f7 SV for free.

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
Dan meant no offense but at this point there's nothing more to say but pure honesty. Your buying something with no proof! It's like going to some guy on the street buying a diamond ring and just taking his word that its real. Like witchy stated your the one taking all the risk. Not to mention the ethical problem with that person selling so called Savannah's when they didn't pay for the rights for breeding. Many breeders poor there souls into these animals and there money to provide the consumer with a quality product. But it's your money and decision just trying to help not telling you what to do. Good luck in your adventure.

Allan

Savannah Super Cat
0da0c195883a5fbb7b1bf41bbe6e6b8d.jpg

Here is a picture one of our F6 males he is 10 weeks old to kind of give you an idea of difference in look when not out crossed with a hemi. Hope we helped.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think $200 for unpapered F7A kittens is very reasonable. As Allan said, without papers you really have no idea what you're getting. The fact that they will be 12 weeks old and have never been vaccinated is rather alarming, I would make an appointment with your vet to get that taken care of as soon as you are in possession of the kittens.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with Patti, I find it disturbing that they won't have even one vaccination at 12 weeks of age.

In terms of pricing, given that there is no proof that these are Savannahs (and that in effect is the value you were asking about in having papers for an altered pet) I think $200 is a generous price. Generally, if you go to a shelter you at least get a vaccinated, altered kitten for that.

It's hard to give a real value to something that just doesn't happen in our breed, F7s in our breed are generally purebred so SBT. If there were a genuine accident, a breeder would place the resultant outcrossed kittens for the cost of spay/neuter which would be done before placing so that more "accidents" did not occur.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
WitchyWom, if the owners know their litter are f7A and that breeders sell them for 1k$, why would they give them away. I understand for the 1k$ from a breeder that you get papers and shots, but that does not mean they have no value without the papers and shots. Again, they are what they are.

I don't know any breeder selling outcrossed F7 Savannahs (particularly with such an unsuitable outcross) for $1,000.

In terms of "they are what they are"... yes and no. With papers they are Savannahs...without papers they might or might not be. The "breeders" might merely have spun you a story. There's plenty of spotted kittens being passed off on Craigslist and other classified websites as "Savannahs"... and plenty of scammers out there too!