Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

No appetite

MM3

Site Supporter
Excellent point! Will try that today.
Ok ground up her treats and sprinkled them on only one corner of her wet food. The little stinker made two little circles where she just liked the gravy ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE IF WHERE I sprinkled HER GROUND UP TREATS! Go figure.

David Z

Site Supporter
Just did some calling to 2 different vets. Not where Emma Mae has been seen currently, since I’m 75% sure I am going to be leaving that office. ( which is a side note but a critical one) one office stated that an exray can show a blockage. Starts out at $275 and up just for the exray not including needing to be seen for a physical before. And or if any meds need to sent home. Another one fee starts At $440 just for the ultra sound. Fee doesn’t include the charge for reading it. OMG where do these prices come from?

thank you for interest and time to share this info.

Ultra sound price sounds about right they should read it for that tho. The xray price, THAT'S outrageous my vet charges $75.00.
Ultra sound is way to go as it will show if the intestine walls have thickened which can indicate Ibd or other issues. I would error on the side of the ultra sound not showing anything and being safe vs not having it done. If it does show thickening you'll need to order a biopsy. No vet will do the biopsy before the ultra sound or other in depth imaging(c.f. mri).
If u can find a cheaper xray start there if not skip and do the ultra sound. The xray will only show if there is thickening of the intestines if the intestines are really inflamed.

Akila

Site Supporter
OMG MM3 I feel your pain! It is hard enough having an animal that you know in your gut is not healthy and something is wrong, but then you have to deal with a vet that you really don’t trust, yet you feel directionless to find someone to help figure it out.
I have been going through the same thing:(:(

MM3

Site Supporter
OMG MM3 I feel your pain! It is hard enough having an animal that you know in your gut is not healthy and something is wrong, but then you have to deal with a vet that you really don’t trust, yet you feel directionless to find someone to help figure it out.
I have been going through the same thing:(:(
Sorry your experiencing a stressful time as well. I’d hate to think that the medical field as far as pets go. They have you over an emotional barrel. They seem to pile on the charges. For every little thing. We just need to hand in there and BREATHE!

MM3

Site Supporter
Ultra sound price sounds about right they should read it for that tho. The xray price, THAT'S outrageous my vet charges $75.00.
Ultra sound is way to go as it will show if the intestine walls have thickened which can indicate Ibd or other issues. I would error on the side of the ultra sound not showing anything and being safe vs not having it done. If it does show thickening you'll need to order a biopsy. No vet will do the biopsy before the ultra sound or other in depth imaging(c.f. mri).
If u can find a cheaper xray start there if not skip and do the ultra sound. The xray will only show if there is thickening of the intestines if the intestines are really inflamed.
The vet that has seen Emma Mae since day one. When she quoted fees. She said they tack on $75 extra dollars in their quote just in case she needs to be sent home with medication. Is that such an involved issue that it can’t be figured out at the time. It’s not rocket science.
It’s not that I don’t want to have these tests done, just need to low my self time to regroup and figure out if I have those resources. That’s a lot of money. Emma Mae has eaten some today. She’s really good about drinking water. I weighed her this morning and no weight loss. I’m just going to need to take it one day at a time for now.
Thank you for your input and concern. I don’t feel so alone.

MM3

Site Supporter
How's Emma doing?
Thank you for asking. I decided to give her the medication every three days in stead of everyday. It seems to be still in her system for 2 good strong eating days and the third... she’s eating some. I’m still not ok with side effects, but it’s not a perfect world. She becomes extremely needy and extremely vocal and demanding. Which she has never ever been. And drinks water constantly the first she is given 1/4 of a pill. When on the medication she eats very very well! Thanks again for checking with us.

MM3

Site Supporter
Did some more research on the yucca product I mentioned previously. And discovered that it more for joint pain according to the information I could find which isn’t much. That MAYBE MIGHT aid in helping appetite. Holding off on that one for now.