Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Not eating after new kitten

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Hi everybody I’m wondering if anyone has some advice for me. I have a 5 year old F3 male savannah Felix and just brought home a new F2 female we’ve named Piper.

We have Piper quarantined upstairs (started in one room and slowly allowing some more space), our boy has been sticking downstairs since we brought her home other than the second day when he sniffer her through the gate across her room. They have only interacted that one brief time.

But since that interaction he is being antisocial (not like him at all), staying in his bed or on the screen porch most of the day. Most concerning my he’s not eating at all. He is at baseline not a great eater- he is raw fed, will only eat chunks and not ground, etc. I did take him to the vet yesterday as he was also throwing up and having loose stool and I wanted to make sure he wasn’t sick. They did labs which all look fine and prescribed an appetite stimulant.

It has now been another 24 hrs without eating and I may have to take him back to the vet as I know this length of time without eating can be dangerous. I also know that if this is because of the stress of a new kitten then taking him to the vet doesn’t help his stress level.

If you all have any suggestions on how to get him to eat that would be greatly appreciated!

Some pics of my furballs attached.

Attachments

• 39F00F53-7E4B-4A5E-8792-1ACFA92ADB38.jpeg
    39F00F53-7E4B-4A5E-8792-1ACFA92ADB38.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 4
  • 18E0C59B-E9C2-4C1C-9516-00487AD6192B.jpeg
    18E0C59B-E9C2-4C1C-9516-00487AD6192B.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 3

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What was the vet's verdict? To me this doesn't sound like just depression or an emotional reaction to the new kitten and not eating from that, because you have vomiting and diarrhea in addition. What labs did they run? General bloodwork? Was he at all dehydrated from the vomiting, and so they might have given fluids?

Will he only eat chunks of raw meat? What is his favorite? Have you tried stronger smelling meats like lamb or venison? Cooked shrimp sometimes attracts them even if they won't ever eat fish or fishy canned foods. My F5 Zari only wants a raw diet, BUT she does enjoy freeze dried chicken treats (Halopets or Whole Life) and chicken baby food warmed then offered on a teaspoon. She's had a couple of very ill episodes so chicken baby food really saved her. Nowadays you can source a similar thing in the Churu tubes.

Has Felix (feels funny as my human son is also Felix!) ever been known to chew on inappropriate things? I'd be a little concerned from these symptoms that there might be an obstruction or partial obstruction going on...

LEM91

Savannah Adult
What was the vet's verdict? To me this doesn't sound like just depression or an emotional reaction to the new kitten and not eating from that, because you have vomiting and diarrhea in addition. What labs did they run? General bloodwork? Was he at all dehydrated from the vomiting, and so they might have given fluids?

Will he only eat chunks of raw meat? What is his favorite? Have you tried stronger smelling meats like lamb or venison? Cooked shrimp sometimes attracts them even if they won't ever eat fish or fishy canned foods. My F5 Zari only wants a raw diet, BUT she does enjoy freeze dried chicken treats (Halopets or Whole Life) and chicken baby food warmed then offered on a teaspoon. She's had a couple of very ill episodes so chicken baby food really saved her. Nowadays you can source a similar thing in the Churu tubes.

Has Felix (feels funny as my human son is also Felix!) ever been known to chew on inappropriate things? I'd be a little concerned from these symptoms that there might be an obstruction or partial obstruction going on...
Thanks for your response! The vet essentially said she isn’t sure. No signs of infection on his blood work and his kidney function was good so presumably not dehydrated. I agree it seems like it would be an awfully intense reaction to the new kitten with all the symptoms he’s having which is why I took him in.

In addition to the appetite stimulant she gave us anti nausea meds and flagyl just in case but when I gave them he threw them up and I felt I was making him worse trying to give them as he was getting very upset and we weren’t getting any benefit since he’s just throwing them up. I’ve given him only the appetite stimulant today (goes on inside of his ear) and so far no vomiting. Still not eating.

His usual meat is chunks of chicken he really doesn’t like any other meats other than seafood. He goes crazy for cooked shrimp but he won’t even eat those right now. Have also tried freeze dried chicken, minnows, and salmon with no luck. Tried canned tuna and again no interest. I have not tried baby food and since he’s a fan of chicken that may be a good bet so I will go buy some.

I brought him to my parents house this am and am staying here with him away from the kitten in case that was part of the problem. He comes here a lot and is comfortable so I’m hoping this helps. He’s lounging in his room here and even purred the last time I went to pet him but still no interest in food.

I talked to the vet again this am she said to bring back tomorrow if he’s still not eating and he will likely need IVF. I feel nervous going this long (now at least 3 going on 4 days) without him eating at all, but I’ve tried all my tricks!

Vito

Site Supporter
I hope Felix starts eating soon, and as Brigitte says, it seems very unlikely that this is a reaction to the new kitten. offering strong smelling food again as suggested by Brigitte sometimes is enough to coax them into eating again, however last year we had a very similar problem with Vito minus the diarrhea, refusing all food for 3 days, lethargic and just wanting to be left alone. After fluids, ultrasound and xrays, a foreign object was the cause. A 12inch ribbon to be exact. id certainly have more investigation just to be on the safe side.

LEM91

Savannah Adult
I hope Felix starts eating soon, and as Brigitte says, it seems very unlikely that this is a reaction to the new kitten. offering strong smelling food again as suggested by Brigitte sometimes is enough to coax them into eating again, however last year we had a very similar problem with Vito minus the diarrhea, refusing all food for 3 days, lethargic and just wanting to be left alone. After fluids, ultrasound and xrays, a foreign object was the cause. A 12inch ribbon to be exact. id certainly have more investigation just to be on the safe side.
I hope so as well. I tried chicken baby food, lamb, and high calorie cat gel supplement with no luck. We are going to go back to the vet in the am and I am going to ask for x ray/ultrasound to look for an obstruction. He is drinking some water and no throwing up today but also hasn’t taken anything in other than minimal water.

Vito

Site Supporter
I think it really would be for the best even to just rule out an obstruction, it's amazing what our Savs get up-to when your not with them, to this day I still don't know where Vito got that ribbon from, no matter how much we watch them they get into everything, usually things they shouldn't. Keep us updated on Felix. Best wishes and good luck.

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Thank you, I will keep you all updated. I hope to find out what is going on tomorrow. I’m already quite bonded to our new kitten so I hope that isn’t playing a role. I feel bad thinking I’ve made Felix feel this way but I know it’s more likely there is something medically going on and am hoping we can figure it out soon.

Vito

Site Supporter
Really don't think the arrival of Piper (who is beautiful) is responsible for the way Felix is being just now, obviously you could never rule it out but I seriously doubt it, so please don't feel bad.

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Vet still doesn’t know what is going on.

Today his Cr is up so he’s dehydrated and liver enzymes have started going up a little. He has lost 2lbs. Still no elevation in his WBCs, urine was concentrated but otherwise okay.

They did an x ray and said it’s not normal but they can’t tell if it’s an obstruction or ileus from dehydration. The way she described the image sounds more like an ileus to me (I’m a people surgeon so I see this often). My vet sent us to the emergency vet for admission and IVF since they are closed this afternoon and tomorrow.

Emergency vet offered to keep him overnight or give subcutaneous fluids he’ll slowly absorb and IV nausea meds and abx and to take him home. I’m going to do that rather than keep him there as he is more stressed at the vet and probably wouldn’t eat there even if he felt well and getting them to give raw is difficult.

Hopefully the fluids and IV meds will make him feel good enough to eat. If he doesn’t improve I’ll take him back again in the am and probably get another x ray to see if that has changed to help with our diagnosis.